Thomas Cook booking

Watcher

Hi All,
I bought a package for my son and I for a London NFL match in late October with Thomas Cook.
Package included match tickets and 2 nights hotel accommodation.
I paid with my AIB VISA.

Since the company ceased trading last week, NFL have stated they weren't paid for the tickets, and the hotel have cancelled booking.
I assume I can claim this back through my credit card?
Not sure if its chargeback or another process? (In the UK, section 75 covers credit card purchases between 100 and 30K)

Thanks for any insight.
W

Hi Watcher,
This also happened to me(trip to Man Utd v Liverpool). I used 2 separate cards during the booking process, I've already received a refund from mastercard, expecting the money from visa debit either today or Monday. It falls under a chargeback for goods and services not received.
I also contacted Man Utd and they allowed me to purchase the tickets directly from them!

I saw WATCHDOG on BBC last night. There are a number of scams being run by unscrupulous crooks in the aftermath of the TC melt-down.

Be wary of 3rd party firms offering to get a refund for you - you don't need them and may even end up with further losses.

Some unscrupulous hotels are "doubling up" on CC charges processed before TC closed. Check your cards if you used TC services in the last 12/18 months.

Some of you may have access to BBC iPlayer and may be able to watch the programme there. If you used Thomas Cook, it might be a good idea.

Thanks All..
I contacted AIB requesting chargeback. They took details on the phone and requested documentation.
I received a letter on Friday saying that they cannot go ahead with a dispute if the purchase is protected by a bonding authority.
They state that as Thomas Cook is ATOL and ABTA bonded I need to pursue recompense through them..

ATOL is a non runner as there were no flights involved.
All the information I can find on the refund site for Thomas Cook is ATOL related.

AIB want a letter from the bonding authority that they will not cover the claim...
as there is no flight involved they wont cover anyway?

I guess I just pursue with AIB at this point?

Thanks again for all the input

I would write back to AIB explaining what you outlined here. Do not do anything on the telephone .

Thanks Bronte.. letter and docs printed...
any idea why they wont deal with email?

Will keep you posted

Hi Watcher,
Did you get this resolved? I noticed today that my visa debit card has reversed the refund I received. I called support and they said there's a letter in the post explaining what I do next.

Hi John... After sending in all documentation, the transaction was reversed and the fee was refunded. I got a letter stating that this may be reversed at a later stage if the vendor challenges it, but so far so good.

Back