"This phone conversation is being recorded for training purposes." How safely stored?

SlurrySlump

My credit card was recently scammed. I seldom use the card. I was wondering how my card details ended up being used to purchase items online. Many companies have computer systems that take my information for the transaction but don't store the information.
I recently contacted a company and spoke with a customer care spokesperson to make an insurance purchase. My card details were verbally given over the phone. Thinking back I realise that when making the phone call I was told that the phone conversation was being recorded for training purposes. How safe is this information? How many people can listen back to my conversation and how long is this information stored?
The computer system may be secure but how secure is the information when given verbally and kept for training purposes?

Insurance companies usually stop the recording when you are sharing CC details, or actually put you on another line that does not have a recording facility during the payment process for exactly that reason.
Most (all?) insurance companies don't store any CC details as data protection is a nightmare, hence using realex or similar companies to process payments.

Back