Thinking of world travel in 12 months time.. advice / opinions?

Plek Trum

Hi all,

after a long and thought out discussion the wekeend, my partner and I have almost finally decided to take a year out in 2011 and travel the world.

We are both mid 30's and went straight into our careers after Uni so never had the chance to do the whole gap year / world travel experience. We are together 8 years and have savings which were, initially, meant to be put towards purchasing our own home. However, given our age, the current economic climate we both feel that now is the time for us to head away.

Our main concern is the timing. We both are fortunate enough to be in full time secure employment and that wont be changing anytime soon. Are we mad to turn this in and head away for a year knowing that only one of us will (possibly) have a job to return to in 2012? Our savings were meant to go towards out first home purchase - is spending this on a year out travelling a reckless decision?

(Just to add, we shall have all existing loans cleared before leaving and will have money put aside for living expenses for first 6 months when we return).

I would really appreciate all advice and opinion - I guess what we need is the confidence to see it through. I know already that one set of parents will see this decision as frivilous!

Last edited:
I don't think you would ever regret taking a year out to go travelling. There's always something or someone to stop you or who will think it's a bad idea. Not having a house is an advantage, as it means you can up and leave more easily. I've given up work to go travelling (twice) and never regretting it for a nanosecond. The most popular reaction I get from people (with kids, mortgages etc.) is that they wished they had done it when they had the chance. Now, I'm firmly of the belief that it is easier than many people think to head off for a year, but that's a separate discussion.

The older generation will have a problem with this - our parents' generation didn't just give up secure jobs (for any reason, let alone frolicking off around the world), but that's just a difference in attitude. You guys are grown ups so you just need to explain to them what a super opportunity this is for you. They don't have to agree with you, and don't seek approval from them before you go (you don't need it in any case) - just respect their viewpoint and do what you want to do. If all the parents are in good health, then that's even more of a reason to go travelling sooner rather than later.

You never know what will happen on the year away - you may be able to get a job to keep body and soul together for a few months and not spend as much as you think. It'll also be a great test of your relationship - if you can survive a year away together, you'll survive just about anything!

As I said, I never regretted it for a second and doubt if you would either. Just do it!

Do it if you can afford to do it. You would never regret it, you would gain so much in terms of life experience, things that you cant put a monetary value on. Who knows where the country/your jobs will be in 2 years time anyway? You have no responsibilities like children, mortgage - do it.

Ah Watersprite - thats exactly what we were thinking and needed to hear! We are fortunate to have been able to save and we feel that this might be the last opportunity to go see the world with a clear and easy plan - I would imagine with a mortgage we wouldn't do it at all (let alone kids!)

Timing is looking good, both our parents are fit and well and we really have no committments to keep us here. A year to add to savings, finalise plans and get ready.. seems very achievable!

Thats what we are thinking too Truthseeker - who knows how things will be in 2 years time. It seems like more of a gamble to purchase our house, stay put and we might be made redundant and struggle OR go follow our dream and use the money to experience the world and different cultures. We've rented this long, its not the end of the world if we do it for a few more years.

Go for it, you won't regret it! Ask your employers if they could give you leave to take the year off, they may be more accommodating than you think.
I went travelling 4 years ago with my partner and we never regreted it, it galvanised our relationship, and we never looked back, married now and expecting twins!!!!

Hi Plek Trum, I think it sounds like a great idea. I do not know of anyone who hasn't loved travelling. If you don't mind me asking how much have you budgeted each for the year travelling (it's something we're thinking about at the moment too, though maybe for 6 months)

Hi Missdaisy (love the name btw!) We were thinking roughly of 10k each (after flights / visas etc), should be plenty on paper once we spend time planning where and when we go. Have an 'emergency' account of 5k between us to put away should something happen unexpectantly.

From talking to friends that have travelled that should be plenty for 8 - 10 months travelling, make it a year at a stretch. Only ballpark figures though, we havent gotten into it too finely detailed just at the moment.

Hi Missdaisy (love the name btw!) We were thinking roughly of 10k each (after flights / visas etc), should be plenty on paper once we spend time planning where and when we go. Have an 'emergency' account of 5k between us to put away should something happen unexpectantly.

From talking to friends that have travelled that should be plenty for 8 - 10 months travelling, make it a year at a stretch. Only ballpark figures though, we havent gotten into it too finely detailed just at the moment.

absolutely do it you will never regret it, do it sooner if you can why wait? also when you are ready to go and you are looking at the money and the clothes situation, halve the amount of clothes that you are bringing and double the amount of money. that was the tip i was given. enjoy.................................... and bring me too please???!!!!!!:D:D

absolutely do it you will never regret it, do it sooner if you can why wait? also when you are ready to go and you are looking at the money and the clothes situation, halve the amount of clothes that you are bringing and double the amount of money. that was the tip i was given. enjoy.................................... and bring me too please???!!!!!!:D:D

Agree with both of the above points. After you pack, take out half of the stuff you put in and leave it at home - I wouldn't start with more than 15kg (even for a year, and try to get it below that; you will be buying souvenirs on the way, which you can send home from a lot of places no problem). There are things that people assume that everyone needs, which may not necessarily be the case (e.g. a sleeping bag, if you are not camping out in the cold). There are loads of sites with packing lists out there.

Also, allow for more money than you think - you don't have to spend it if you don't want to but you'll only get one chance to do the Inca trail/take a balloon ride/dive with sharks and I would never let the $100 (or whatever) get in the way of enjoying everything there is to offer out there. You can budget on accommodation and food no problems.

IMO, avoid expensive places (e.g. the US) - lots of people fly through the US or back through Japan or the like & call into Hawaii or Tahiti on the way. Nothing against those places, but you can easily go there on a normal holiday. Your money will go much farther in South America/Africa/South East Asia/India. Don't overplan the trip - go with a general idea of countries and the things you want to see in each, but don't schedule it too much or you'll end up missing out on unexpected attractions or just the opportunity to veg out on a nice beach and do nothing other than watch the world go by with a good book.

And yeah, I'd be taking 2010 off, not 2011!

I did it a few years ago but did it over three years and worked my way around. Left shannon with £1500 IR and headed to Asia. from speaking to other people who did the world wind 12 month tour, they often said how much travelling was involved and if they did it again they would go to fewer places and stay there longer. I ended up staying in Oz for aslong as my visa allowed (12 months)

It is something you should do. One of my most favorite and common sayings in my time travelling was " I can replace the money it costs by earning more, but I can never replace the time"

Hi Plek Trum, I reckon you should definitely go! Myself and my partner have been agonising for the last 18 months about whether to go travelling or not and the main reason holding us back is because we bought a house in 2007 (I know, very smart!) and have a fairly hefty mortgage and a lot of negative equity. If we didn't have that we would definitely be gone by now so I am really envious that you don't have anything really holding you back. We are still considering going but are pretty worried about one or both of us coming back to unemployment (we both work in a sector where there has been a lot of redundancies over the past year). Part of me thinks I should just ask work and see what happens but the other part of me is worried that if they say no which is quite likely, it will cause problems. I know people probably think we are crazy to even be considering it but it would be so amazing to be able to go away, I think 6 months would do us but the fear of losing our job(s) and our house is obviously a very real one so its a bit of a dilemma really. Anyway I hope you have a great time, it will be great to get out of this country for a bit!

Hi Plek Trum,

I think you should go, definitely.

My boyfriend and I went travelling in 2007 for 7 months, and it was the best thing we ever did. Everyone thought we were insane, because we both had great jobs, but we are now earning 25% than we did at the time (and our old colleagues wages are virtually the same). My parents also thought we were ‘frivolous’, but they now know how right we were. Had we not left when we did we would have bought a house in 2007!

After flights/vaccines/bags/medication etc. we had €7000 each and still had a few hundred in the bank when we arrived back in Dublin airport. Just don’t spend too much time in Australia or New Zealand unless you’re working.

You don’t have to wait a year to go either. If you put your mind to it, you could have enough saved by the summer, just downsize, live frugally for a while. We decided to leave in Feb and were gone before July.

Bon Voyage!!!

If you are prepared to work for your board and lodging your money could go further, and your experience of the countries you visit be enhanced. Try something like WWOOF eg http://www.wwoof.co.nz/ or other organisations where you offer to work not for money. Just google "work in exchange for board and lodging" and see what comes up.
Enjoy your time.

Thanks so much guys, very helpful info and lots of pointers. The 'sooner than later' vibe is rather infectious.. we'll see!

I do think that travel has become less exciting than it was ay 10 years ago. It is so easy and affordable to get to places now that was harder to get to 10 years ago. I think i all got easier after Alex Garland brought out the book "The Beach" and it was made into a movie.

You dont have to take a year off to see the world. Depending on your profession it may be the case you can go work in other countries and experience the country as well.

So far I have worked in USA and parts of Europe. In that time I took time off to back pack around the Middle East for 3 month and on another occassion around India for 2 months. I've also travelled to Turkey, Cuba, Indonesia, Egypt etc on holidays. Last Year my wife, myself and our 7 month old baby travelled to Australia and New Zealand for 2 months and used tents and camper vans. We now have baby no.2 and the 4 of us are planning to go to South America next year.

Best of luck regardless what you do.

Back