Thinking of opening cafe

Neuken

Hi

There is a new shopping centre opening near us and as it is getting busier in the area, therefore I think there is an opportunity to open up a cafe for "pub style" lunches as they are lacking in the vicinity.

My question, how can I check to see if somebody else is planning to do the same thing, whether in the new shopping centre or elsewhere nearby?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Neuken

I'm curious why you see this as the most important issue for you. Say you did open up: there'd be nothing to stop someone opening up the day after you, so even if it did check out 100%, you'd be no better off.

The obvious things to check would be the managers of the shopping centre: just ask them. Also, any recent "change of use" planning applications.

My advice would be to put together a comprehenive business plan: competition will certainly be included in this, but it's far from the most important thing to consider.

By the way, do you have any experience in the cafe or other food business?

Neuken, an ex of mine used to manage a cafe. Initially she was the only cafe on the street. Then one opened next door. Then one a few doors down. Then one around the corner. And so on.

Her business was not greatly affected. She found people tend to stick with the coffee they're used to.

Would you consider the franchise route? Insomnia coffee is lovely...

Back