Thinking of Galway

dino

Hi,
I'm looking into a job in Galway city at the moment and I'm looking for info on the city.
What are the best areas close to the city? I'm early 30's and single so I would want to be able to go into town.
What price would you pay for a 3 or 4 bed? In a decent area?
I hear it is a great place to live? Anyone got any good experiences?

Sorry, I guess I would rent initially but buy within 12 to 18 months. I would buy on my own and I would not be looking to rent rooms or anything like that. Would probably pay up to 360 or 380K.
Would also be interested in older houses and the east side of the city would probably suit best.

Thanks...

Think about Athenry/Oranmore/Monivea side of the city when you start looking to buy. Galway city is very very expensive. You will get much more house for your money in Athenry/Oranmore or Monivea, although these area's are getting quite built up now too.
If you want to live in the city initally for the night life etc. try wellpark, college rd, bohermore, woodquay, newcastle rd, lurgan, salthill, rahoon. Avoid Knocknacarra or Cappagh rd area. There are literally thousands of houses up there with poor buses, no shops or pubs and it's just life less.

Sorry but I am only interested in the city area. I have spent long enough living in commuter towns outside cities and I would much prefer to live within 3 or 4 miles of the city centre.
What are the older estates like in Renmore? The area opposite Bradleys Garage on the Dublin road has lots of older estates and it's close to town too. I also like the area around College Road but I'm sure it's crazy money.

yeah, all u need is the Galway Advertiser. comes out in print on thurs. but to get a heads up, go online after 2pm on wednesday as the accom list goes online then.

youll find lots of places to rent here but youll also pay for the privilage. city centre aprts can be in and around 1200 p/m. if you can afford it, youll find galway a damn hard place to beat.

best of luck

If you're thinking of Renmore its an excellent location. A well settled area, with a gym, good bus service, gaa clubs and a beach.

The only problem is the majority of houses are 60/70's era and either have been renovated or need renovation.

There's a few new estates and you could rent a 3/4 bed for 1100 to 1200 per month. Its a handy 20-30 min walk into town.

Dino you'll get more for your money in the older houses. Larger proportions and gardens, parking etc. Renmore is excellent as are the places on the East side Suse mentioned. The commute from Athenry/Oranmore is dreadful. For the price you mention you could also afford Tirellan, Castlelawn etc.

Thanks for all the info. What are the Merlin Park and Doughiska areas like? Seems tobe lots of houses for sale in that area.

A little further out alot more newer construction over the last 3-5 years.

There's a big difference in regard to traffic from Dougishka than Renmore. Large numbers of new houses, alot of investor properties.
The area is not particularly well planned nor does it have great facilities. One thing about Galway in general is there has been almost no strategic planning over the last few years its been mostly developer led. Hence the problems with traffic, schools, public transport etc.

We're in Roscam and it's fine, traffic is a pain if you're driving into city in the morning though before 9.30am.

3 bedSD's are around 360k

What about the Moycullen area - good houses and there is value

Back