Thinking of doing my own servicing - advice please

Is it really that simple though? ...
... I wouldn't attempt a ... computer ...
Is what that simple? - I don't understand what you mean.
... But I wouldn't attempt a timing belt ...
Neither would I as I don't have the training or equipment and I believe it's beyond the capabilities of most DIYers these days, but I have rebuilt simple car engines in the past, with guidance from my father and an uncle both of whom had the training.

Get a box of disposable rubber gloves, saves the grubby black fingernails for days on end. Nice to service your own wheels. But remember safety is up-most.

I think Cav wants to do his own car, not set up a business

The OP owes it to himself to behave as if it were a business.
Next to sitework on buildings, working in machine shops or on cars, bikes and engines always seemed to be the most risky enterprises when I was growing up.
Taking the correct Health and Safety precautions for whatever you're at is never a wasted exercise.
Crush injuries from a car may not be quite as catastrophic as if a building falls on you or you from it, but they can be just as fatal.
Quite apart from the excellent advice given here about using a second method of jacking up the car [most people never do this] the OP should always let someone know that he's doing this work and should work in an area where you won't be distracted or others harmed.

FWIW

ONQ

Some things make it easier...

Ramps, chocks are cheap, why not have them. Baby wipes very handy for removing oil off hands. Or if your stuck, daz (or similar) washing power and a bit of fairy liquid is great. If harsh. Ditto dishwasher tablets. Put a spear of oil on the ring of the oil filter before you put it back on. Won't be so hard to take off next time. Some cars the filter is a nightmare to reach without a ramp. So some cars I won't do for that reason. Some are easy you can just reach down from the top at the front. If you measure how much oil you put in the first time you do it. You'll not overfill it the next time you do it. Even mark an old plastic jug/container to help. If you don't spill it, you'll have nothing to clean up, so a good pouring jug is huge help. Oh and check your batteries water level.