Thinking of changing car

slookie

Hi all. I am new to this forum and i would appreciate any advice which can be offered. I live in Tipperary in the country and only have 7 miles to drive to work each day. That said, I still manage to clock up between 300 and 400 miles a week (Currently building a house, so driving here and there looking at furniture etc.)
I am driving a Toyota Avensis Strata 1.6, which I bought last June. However I am not finding it to be very economical. The on board computer says that I'm getting 36.5 mpg. I have only ever seen it go above 40 mpg once, and that was when I was driving to Dublin. I had a 99 Avensis before this and found it fine.
My question is does anybody else find the same problem with the Avensis. I was thinking of changing to a diesel car...maybe a Passat. Any advice greatly appreciated.
thanks

The 1.6 Avensis is very heavy on petrol, the engine is too small for the car. It's typical to get 35 MPG, very expensive to run!
I upgraded my 1.6 for 2.0L diesel last year and have noticed a big improvement. I average 45mpg but will hit 50mpg on a good motorway.

Personally perfer the Avensis to the Passat, it just looks a better built car, will hold it value better and has nine airbags.

Your not the first person I heard say that. Would it be normal that the old model was more economical?

Your not the first person I heard say that. Would it be normal that the old model was more economical?

The older model Avensis is lighter in terms of weight so it would be a little more economical. The VW is a great car, I just perfer the Avensis.

That clock that's on the dash saying the mpg is in-correct. It was a fault in the factory and somehow the clocks out of the 1.6 ended up in the 1.8 and the 1.8 clocks ended up in the 1.6.

Bear in mind that on short journeys all cars use more fuel because the engine doesn't get up to working temprature hence the 40 mpg on the long journey

Anyone else out there with a new model Avensis that does not find it very economical. It's just that I and my family were bought up with Toyota's and always told "oh they're a great car"...

Referring really to build quality and reliability.

Not particularly to e.g. driveability, performance, economy...
Agreed. My worry about driving a Toyota is the danger of falling asleep at the wheel; they are just so damned boring.

It's all a matter of opinion. Toyota are a solid brand that hold their value better than most. The Avensis has been a big success for them. I'm delighted with the diesel version and I'd likely buy another when I change car. You need to consider what you want from a car.

All fair points. I can only speak for myself in this matter.