Thinking of buying in Dublin 8 around Francis Street and Meath Street.

M

Macker

Am thinking of buying in dublin 8 around Francis Street and Meath Street and am just wondering about the safety of the area. As a student I always rented north side so am not that familiar of that part of town. In the day it seems fine but am just wondering if it gets a bit dodgy at night? I'd appreciate any advice on the area.

Thanks

Re: Buying in Dublin 8

There are a lot of Grade A drug users in the Francis Street / Meath St area. Saying that there are a lot of these in all areas nowadays. I don't live there but a friend used to and I stayed a few times. It really is not any more dodgey than most other places. And my car never got touched once.

Lived on pimlico just off meath street and while I saw a lot of skangers I had never had any trouble from them as a female in my 30's. Car was never touched. The main thing I didn't like about the area was the lack of green spaces, no parks and we had only a teeny tiny yard. If you are buying try and get some kind of small garden/ deck as the walls do close in on you in the summer.

Loved shopping form bargains on meath street and Francis street and you can walk to Grafton street in 20 minutes

Hi

I've an apartment in that area - have done for the last 8 years or so and would recommend that you don't buy ground floor! Kids breaking windows can work out expensive... Area not bad though. Some apartment complexes not great - are you looking at a house or apartment?

I live between Meath St. and Francis St. It's very central so handy for nights out etc.

However, there are a LOT of junkies around! I had one follow me in my front door a few months ago and had to throw him out of the house. They also seem to use underground car parks to hang around in quite frequently. Kevin St. Gardai are fantastic though, and will come very quickly if called.

Can I ask if it is a house or apartment you're looking at? I might be able to give you more info that way

I'm looking for a small house with parking. It is a very handy location so I will check out any houses that are for sale and hang about at night time to see what each street is like. thanks for all the advice

Have worked in Francis St, for the past 4 years often entering/leaving the offices there late at night.

The area does have a fair few people with drug problems - but I have never witnessed any trouble at all during my 4 years there.
The majority of people I've met from that area are invariably polite and respectful.

Be careful with places that are called "up and coming". That is usual a term that means it isnt a nice place to live.

Inchicore, in Dublin 8, has been "up and coming" for 15 years and still hasn't really improved a lot, granted it has improved a bit.

I lived on Marrabone Lane for 4 yrs up until 3 months and it is great place to live.

Just to come back to thread starter on this - a friend of mine sold their 2 bed apartment on Marrabone Lane just last week for the same price they paid for it 2yrs ago - in this climate I think that's really not that bad.