Thinking of building a house and looking for some advice please.

W

WEEFOOT

This is my first post so go easy guys!

I am currently setting out to build a 2 storey house at 1800sqf. I want the house to look traditional on the outside (like my granny's house which used to be on the site) but modern simplistic on the inside. Im going to be greedy and ask as many questions as I can on this thread:

1) Timber Frame or Block build which is more cost effective, energy efficient ?

2) I would like to use timber sliding sash windows but the cost is just to high. Would anyone recommend standard casement timber windows with fake horns?

3) The roof will be slate but cant afford bangor blues any ideas on other cheaper slates that are of a high quality?

4) I want my external doors to be very plain but high performance. Have looked at German and Swedish designs which are of a very high quality. Dooria's range of external doors would be my first choice but £980 for a single doorset seems very high?

5) I want my outside walls to be finished in a white, this will be very hard to keep clean and has to be maintained by regular painting. I have looked at getting my plaster sprayed on with the colour already in it. Has anyone any experience with this method?

6) All rooms are going to be tiled but I am worried that they will be noisy and cold? Can tiles be layed a few weeks after screeding or like a wooden floor does a period of 9-12months need to be left?

7) I want a high gloss finish on my kitchen units, are they easily cleaned or do they show up every finger mark? How does a high gloss finish look after say 5 - 10 years?

8) For the internal doors I want something that is different, I am sick of looking at oak doors. Is seems that 90% of all new builds in the past 8years have installed oak doors and skirting. Again it is German doors that have caught my eye but they are sold as a complete factory prepared doorset. Anyone with experience of using these German doorsets?

Looking forward to to replies....

Ciara

Back