Thinking BMW under 3000

First off, I think there's a good chance that the one pictured has been driven hard.

BMW engines are very reliable. The M44 engine in that '96 example is only an update of the M42 engine in the older one. It's a revvy engine more suited to the open road, not a town car!!
The timing chain could be noisy but a new tensioner should sort it.
Check for rust under the wheel arches and on the leading edge of the rear arches.
Fogged up headlights are common and nothing to worry about.

check out [broken link removed] for a whole host of info from knowledgable people.

I'm a member but have not vested interest apart from that.

KB

Cars of that age and mileage have basically reached the end of their useful lives as everyday reliable transport and are little better than scrap. At this point the wiring and electrical components have been exposed to a harsh, damp environment for 10+ years. Suspension, control motors, control linkages, bearings, gearboxes and engines will be wearing out. Interiors will be sagging and damaged. Bodywork will be rusting. Services will have been skipped.

I'd only consider a car of this age with a full history (not necessary main dealer), a single owner and NO modifications - least of all bling bling alloys and aftermarket electrical items.

SSE

a 10 year old car with full history and one owner, behind the hens teeth I think.

Have a look at a few, and naba mechanic or someone who knows cars to look at a short list with you.

You will be paying a lot just to get the bm badge but if thats what you want go for it.

You may be lucky and get a few years, or you may end up with a dog, although the same could be said of a 5 year old with low mileage.

If the problem was so small, why not fix it and put get the NCT, thus making it easier to sell surely?

There are loads of BMWs out there, shop around and caveat emptor.

I wouldn't consider anything without a NCT: if it doesn't have one, it's almost certainly because it's not economic to get one (i.e. the fix is more than the car's value).

Main thing to keep in mind that when shopping for a BMW for sub €3k is that you're swimming in shark-infested waters....

Kildarebuild,

If I was you I would ignore the above post because it contains more uninformed twaddle in one post than I've seen for quite a while.

SOME cars MAY be as described above, as will a 4 year old rep-mobile.

I've had 3 BMWs in the last 7 years, ranging from an 88, 91, and currently a 98 318is saloon with over 100k on the clock. It's never given me any reason for complaint and I love driving it (sensibly most of the time too btw )

A 320 may be cheaper to buy as they are less desirable but sound much better (6-cyl engine) but more of a cruiser than the 'is.

As I said, check out that forum and you will find out exactly what you need to know.

A 12 year old (slightly warm) BMW will be much more fun to drive and own than an equivalent 5 year old Ford, Opel, Nissan, Toyota, Honda etc... for much less money.

Enjoy

Pique - The only "uninformed twaddle" on this thread is people extrapolating their own experiences and prejudices into making blanket statements not borne out in fact. I've had a 318i which got to 70k in three years, a 520i which had 101k on it when stolen and a friend has a 540i which is on 160k so I could say BMWs are reliable when new and serviced properly. However a relation spent STG45k on a new X5 that had two new turbos in the first 1k and was rejected back to the dealer and many 6cyl petrol BMWs of this era had major problems with premature bore wear, requiring new blocks.

Anyway, KB, don't take my word for it, check out Honest John's view on the E36:

[broken link removed]&

BMWs have their strengths and faults, same as every other make. I'd agree that a 6-cylinder 3 series was a very nice drive, but these cars are now at least ten years old and, despite protestations to the contrary, will be showing their age. As other people have pointed out you may be lucky and get a peach, or you may be left sucking on a lemon.

I've been looking for a run-out 728i for ages, I did find the mythical "one owner from new here's a folder with all the invoices" car but it was yellow. If you are hellbent on getting a cheap BMW you might be better off looking in the UK as a large number of them came off lease after three years. The 1994 318i I had is still going ten years later (well it's insured anyway).

SSE

ha Mr2

that's nice - but brown?

"head needs attention hence price" - uh oh

SSE

sse said:
Cars of that age and mileage have basically reached the end of their useful lives as everyday reliable transport and are little better than scrap.
Generalisation....and an incorrect one at that.

sse said:
At this point the wiring and electrical components have been exposed to a harsh, damp environment for 10+ years. Suspension, control motors, control linkages, bearings, gearboxes and engines will be wearing out.
More generalisations.....Gearboxes & engines wearing out ? Really ? I thought this was 2008, not 1958.

sse said:
Interiors will be sagging and damaged. Bodywork will be rusting. Services will have been skipped.
yet more generalising. The word you're looking for here is "possibly", not "have been". A 3-4 year old car may be in far worse nick, and I've seen loads of examples of where this was the case.

sse said:
I'd only consider a car of this age with a full history (not necessary main dealer), a single owner and NO modifications - least of all bling bling alloys and aftermarket electrical items.
I won't comment on the use of the repugnant phrase 'bling bling' to describe alloys...<shudder>

An X5 with 2 turbos in the first 1000 miles is due to a design flaw in the Diesel turbos which manifests itself in the normal 320d. Drive these engines hard and then turn the engine off while the turbo is red-hot and this happens sooner or later....commonly.

I would argue that having bought and driven new cars such as Opels, Fords, Toyotas, VWs etc, and seen friends buy <5 year-old examples, the peach & lemon statement is just as applicable to those. However, the build quality of a 10 year old "little better than scrap" BMW and the life left in it, far exceeds those mentioned. If you know what to avoid, there are fantastic bargains to be had. Dealer history on a 10+ year old car is not worth looking for as you will be ignoring potential gems.

If you want a 728 then you'd better beware of your own warning above regarding bore wear. Google "BMW Nikasil" and realise that the 728 is prone to it too as were all big-6 engines up to '98 when Alusil was used as a bore liner.

Pique - The only "uninformed twaddle" on this thread is people extrapolating their own experiences and prejudices into making blanket statements not borne out in fact.
I couldn't agree more!

G'luck !