Thinkin of not taxing car while on 3 months holidays

construct_06

i am going on holidays for 3 months, starting in June. My tax is up as of today.

If i tax car for 3 months i will be gone for 2 months!

can i leave tax till i get back and chance it for the few weeks i have left till i go away?

what do i have to do to tax car when i come back and not pay arrears. I believe i have to get some declaration from the guards or something like that.

You have to fill out the back of the tax form, stating that the car was off the road, and get it signed by a guard.

You could go to a Garda station and declare the car off the road for the period of your holiday. For the month you'll still be here it's illegal not to tax it.

if i do tax the car now and then get declaration that car was off the road, will i be able to reclaim the tax paid or use it for taxing car from when i start driving it again in September?

No. Why don't you just tax the car for a month? Tell the local Garda station that you'll be going away and where the car is. I'm sure they won't have a problem signing to say it was off the road once they're provided with proof. When you come back, tax the car from the day you come home.

The three best things about teachging, June July and August.

The better thing about teaching is presuming the teacher can spell:D

Construct - No, you cannot tax the car for just one month. Are you taking the car out of the country with you?

Options: 1 - Chance your arm for one month then declare when you come back that the car has not been on the road for 4 months. This will involve you making a false declaration, liable to fine and imprisonment.

2 - Tax your car for 3 months now and when you come back get the form witnessed to say it has not been on the road for one month. This is the honest way!

3 - Don't tax it at all - take your chances with the cops.

I recommend option 2.

Slim

so effectively, using option 2 i will not be paying any extra tax, or put another way i wont be paying tax when i havent been driving on irish roads.

im not taking car with me by the way..

The Gardai do not look for any proof. They always just sign the form, I used to work away regular and get a few months tax signed off. Only works when the tax has run out though.

I would let the tax run out go on holiers, start of the month you get back get the form signed by the gardai to say the car was off the road. Then tax the car again.

Obviuosly you should not claim the car was off the road if it wasn't. but who is to know.

I don't know about your tax but you can put your insurance on hold for 3 months, This is done before you go,

As far I can figure out, if you want to be honest, there is no way to avoid paying car tax for June & July if you tax it now in May for 3 mts. The only month you will avoid is Aug when you come back to tax it in Sept. I had something similar lately when my father was getting a new(er) car but he wouldnt have it for a month. The tax was out on his old car and I wanted to retax it but no way could I pay for just the month, despite ringing the local office who told me I could pay it as arrears as it was week or so into the month at that stage, after going to office, looong queue, got to top to be told I could only pay a month of arrears if I was going to pay for the next three months as well, but as his car would be gone by then that was pointless and they wont transfer tax if less than 3 months o/s either. Got so frustrated with it decided to hell with it, got letter from Tax office then saying Guards would be notified if car not taxed within certain time, sent off letter to Guards with tax letter explaining I had done my best to pay them for the month but no luck. Never heard a word afterwards.

Back