Things you can't do anymore now you're self employed..

Some self-employed people are fairly clear on their ability to retain 75%-85% of income; see
Now post a link to the thread that disproved that. It was only a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure you contributed to it.

To be clear, self employed people such as S class directors pay more in tax than PAYE employees. They do not get PAYE tax credit, and this can even effect their spouse (who also get to pay more tax)

There are no expenses that self employed people can claim that PAYE employees can not. Self employed also get to pay corporation tax, accountant's bills and other compliance costs.

Now post a link to the thread that disproved that. It was only a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure you contributed to it.
Sure, would you like me to get you a coffee and polish your shoes then? I'm starting to see why you opted for self employment over being part of a team.

If you want to bring a thread into the debate, why don't you find it?

To be clear, PAYE employees don't generally get to claim portions of their home phone bill, their light/heat, their mobile phone bills, their newspaper, their home broadband, their books and magazines, the VAT on their diesel and their commercial vehicle, their home insurance, their digital camera etc etc against tax. PAYE employees don't get to decide how much of their income to take as income, and how much to take as dividends.

Thanks Complainer for turning a lightish hearted thread into a point-scoring, petty, confrontational argument. Really great for the neutral reader...

I’m a shareholder in a limited company and I have never claimed any of those things as expenses. We don’t own any commercial vehicles and while the company buys laptops for those that need them and provides mobile phones for those that need them since nobody works from home no home related expenses are ever deducted.
Believe it or not holding the view that paying your taxes and not defrauding the exchequer is a moral imperative is not the exclusive reserve of Labour Party members working in the Public sector. Some of us self-employed private sector capitalist scum have values and ethics as well.

Some self-employed people are fairly clear on their ability to retain 75%-85% of income; see
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=134848
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=56970
I don't know anyone who is retaining this amount of income as a self employed contractor. But I do know plenty people who are sitting around doing nothing and making a nice living out of out 22bn social welfare budget
I just cannot fathom why we take money from those who work and give it to those who dont - and that includes the banks. Less tax, less government. It's the only way that makes sense when we are ruled by such an incompetent bunch.

I just cannot fathom why we take money from those who work and give it to those who dont - and that includes the banks. Less tax, less government. It's the only way that makes sense when we are ruled by such an incompetent bunch.

Do you mean those who don't work or those who can't work because they can't find a job.?

This post springs to mind;

Firstly I echo other poster's sentiments in thanking Complainer for being so argumentative.

I myself am a PAYE worker and my partner is a self employed person (director of a limited company) and he has never claimed any of the items you have listed Complainer. He now works a full week and earns €220 per week, which is not much more that a social welfare allowance without any of the other perks (rent allowance, medical card etc). If this income stops there will be no help from the government notwithstanding the taxes he has paid. Yes I know he hasn't made same PRSI contribution to me but he didn't have a choice and he has paid a large amount of VAT, income tax and levies. I do think that there should be more incentives for self-employed people in the event that a business fails.

Or the odd very nice highlighter! Also have to reduce size of your writing - need to make savings in the stationary department, no more casually scrawling across that a4 notepad!

I agree with missdaisy (and Sunny )
And I think dole level should be based on income, therefore those who have worked and are now unable to find work would be better looked after than those who have never worked. This is the system used in Germany (and other EU nations) and I think it has merit - and the poster you mentioned, Complainer, would be looked after under these circumstances. I have experienced redundancy myself on occassion, so I am not immune to the frustration that poster feels.

We used to have this system in the seventies and eighties. Hence the name "Pay Related Social Insurance".

As far as i can recall it worked on a sliding scale- you got a percentage of your salary, reducing over about 6 months.

I've no idea of the thinking behind changing it to the present system.

People often make the mistake by assuming that VAT is an expense or a tax paid out of business profits. VAT is a consumption tax that is charged onto the consumer. When you pay VAT over to revenue you are just paying over the VAT that you collected on behalf of revenue when you added 21% onto your sales price. It is really the consumer that bought your product or service who is incurring the cost of VAT.

If your husband hasn't been claiming legitimate business expenses then he has either been badly advised or hasn't been using an accountant.

Censuspro, I wasn't maintaining that the VAT was paid out of business rofits, but it is nonetheless being genereated by the business as they are charging VAT on services they are providing and creating money for the government in doing this.

I also didn't say my partner wasn't claiming legitimate business expenses. He does and he does have an accountant giving correct advice. I said he didn't claim any of the things Complainer maintained all self-employed people claim - digital cameras, home broadband etc.

Oh dear! And I started this in the hope of raising a few smiles amongst those of us who, due to recent economic conditions, chose to (or were forced to) suffer the outrageous slings and arrows of working for thine self.

Can you not get banned around here anymore for being one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Anyway a few nice ones in there so far! Really laughed at Callybags post. So true!