Things to do in Sitges, Spain

Anto318

Hi all,

I'm heading to Sitges about 30minutes outside Barcelona in Spain in September. Has anyone been there before and could recommend things to do while there?

Thanks,
AM

You might bump into Damien Rice - apparently he goes there a lot.
You might go to the many gay-friendly bars and clubs - it is a popular resort for gay men.

Ooops thats why I got a funny look when a male colleague in work was raving about some hotels and restaurants there and I asked him for a recommendation of somewhere to stay for my parents! Its all making sense now! lol

I'm just back from Sitges and I had a great time! I'm a straight woman and I went with a straight friend and we had sooooooo much fun. It's definitely gay, not so much during the day, but at night it's very obvious. The straight folk do seem to find each other, though! It's a really nice resort, great restaurants, great pubs. Sin Street is the main place to go (can't remember it's real name). There's a beach club about 3km outside the city and free buses run from the prom outside Hotel Calipolis. It's not my scene (I'm 29 and it was a bit club 18-30 Ibiza style) but has a capacity for 2,000 bodies so if you like dancing, check it out. It's called L'Atlandida.

I can recommend a few restaurants too if you like. Enjoy!

Hi all,

I'm heading to Sitges about 30minutes outside Barcelona in Spain in September. Has anyone been there before and could recommend things to do while there?

Thanks,
AM

I've been there a few times and generally just hang out on the beach! The Barca team occasionally come down there for PR stunts. A few of them (incl Ronaldinho) live in the area....

Thanks for all your info, I going with my girlfriend and a gay couple who are good friends of ours so it should be fun.

Thanks again

If you like eating out, try a restaurant called "Air". It's at the bottom of the church on the Playa Fragata (or something like that!). Really good food and class cocktails. You won't regret it.

You'll have a blast. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Thanks for all you help all, I have one more quick question.

We are flying out from Girona on Friday morning so planning on staying in Barcelona Thursday night. Could anyone recommend a nice hotel which is fairly cheap.

Any advice again would be great.

Yow know Girona is quite far away? I just checked online and it's over 80km. Good old Ryan Air! So if you've an early flight you might want to reconsider staying in Barca the night before.

We stayed in Hotel Sant Agustin off La Rambla. It was 50 euro a night per person, 3 star. Very mediocre but the location was class. Well, it was McDodgey, but close to everything. Try and aim to be around La Rambla or Placa de Catalunya. The old Gothic area (the opposite side of La Rambla to that hotel) is the nicest to mooch around at night to find bars. Barcelonetta is by the sea, bit touristy but still nice.

There are a million hostels if you're looking for something cheaper. The one next to our hotel was called Hostal Ramos, I think. But you'll probably just have to trawl the 'net.

Don't let your girlfriend bring a handbag out at night. There's serious crime there, especially around La Rambla, and pickpockets all over the place. We wore jeans, took a small bit of cash, no credit cards, bought a disposable camera, and that was it. We had no hassle at all but we were very careful.

Ok, lecture over. Enjoy!

One last thing!

There's a really nice restaurant in Barca, in the Born district (east of the Gothic bit). It's called Sikkim ([broken link removed]). It's a bit less touristy, better prices than down by the sea. Gorgeous food. I had the sea bass, and I'm not big time into fish, and it was frikkin' fabulous. The restaurant was recommended to a friend of mine, he went, loved it, recommended it to me, and so I feel obliged to spread the good word!

It's hard to find - we got a taxi and Mr. Taximan struggled. It's on Carrer del Comerc, near Plaza Commercial and Passeig del Born.

Bon appetite!

Thanks Louis for all your help and info can't wait to go with the weather being so bad over here.