Things to do around Carnac, Brittany

Joshnot

Hi
We are heading off to La Grande Metairie at the end of May and are looking for things to do or see in the area or within a reasonable distance of Carnac (reasonable being 1 -1 1/2 hours drive as we have 3 year old with us).
Any recommendations?
Thanks

I was there as a child with my parents and we found plenty to do.
There was a beautiful little town nearby called Quiberon.
Vannes is also nearby and further away: Rennes and Mont St Michel (cathedral). The standing stones in Carnac itself are worth a look.

From what I remember there's a lovely town called Josselin quite close. They had a toy museum I think.... St Malo and Mont St Michel are both definitely worth a visit.

A hint for Mont SM is the shops get cheaper as you get higher up!

Hi,
stayed in Le Grande Metarie last summer with Mrs Fubar and 3 boys, aged 7,4,2 and had a ball. The campsite itself was fantastic with kiddies pool, playground and a little animal farm on site. Did a day trip out to the Quiberon peninsula and well worth a visit. Also remember seeing a large playpark on road from Auray to Carnac but never stopped there. On way back to Roscoff spent day in Oceanarium in Brest and had a great time. BTW nice restaurant further out the road from campsite if interested.

La Grande Metairie.....
A great site with loads to do, good area for walking. Quiberon peninsula is quite near, also nearby town of La Trinite-sur-Mer. Went there first in 1988 and haven't seen a better site yet.... Enjoy.
Question for Fubar: ...BTW nice restaurant further out the road from campsite if interested...- What restaurant is this?

thanks for that guys - I probably should have mentioned that we stayed there before but the little man was only 1 year at the time so we didn't do much except heading to the pool and the wonderful beaches nearby - plan on being a bit more adventurous this time around.

Josselin is I agree a lovely little town - wonderful castle there too. We visited a great zoo north of Lorient which isn't far from Carnac. Zoo de Pont Scorff or some name similar. Its set in lovely wooded countryside and best of all, the staff interact with kids giving them a chance to meet the animals and falcon displays etc. I'm not a zoo lover generally but this one was great. Lovely crepes at the restaurant too!