Things(Extra cost)to look at when buying second hand home?

danb

Hi,

I am looking to purchace a 1950 4bed secondhand home which needs significant work and was wondering about extra things I should look out for and additional costs on top of the purchase price, stamp duty, legal fees?

Here is my estimates, would be grateful for any feedback.

- Subsidence E25K
- Rewire E3K
- Replumb E3K
- Replaster E5K
- Heating Installation E5K
- Windows E5K
- Attic Insulation E5K
- Basic Furniture E3K
- Kitchen & Appliance E8K

Thanks for any additional info,

Dan B

Yeah clubman - It is the area I have always wanted to live in and I am looking more as a project.

Very difficult to just throw out prices without knowing more details.

- Subsidence E25K
Impossible to say without having a pro look at it.

- Rewire E3K
Will probably go over 4k for a 4bed, depending on fittings, etc.

- Heating Installation E5K
What kind of heating? Oil, gas, etc.? Underfloor heaing? Rads?

- Windows E5K
Wooden or PVC?

- Attic Insulation E5K
Wow! What are you insulating with? Rolled up fivers? Should be able to do a good job yourself for significantly under a grand.

If you're re-plumbing and re-wiring a two storey, you'd be better off replacing the upstairs floors while you're at it. What are you doing with the other floors.

3k isn't much to furnish a 4 bed house.

Any sign of woodworm in the timbers?

The only figure I have an informed opinion on is windows.

We replaced all windows in a 1960s 4-bed semi about 5 years ago and spent, IIRC, approx. £8000. And that was not the most expensive quote we got.

Danb - would be very careful re subsidence. A friend of mine is having huge difficulty gettting house insurance as a result of subsidence (fixed recently) on her house!

An almost definite cost when dealing with a house of that vintage is the cost of properly disposing of any asbestos materials.

I had to pay €500 last year to a licensed firm to properly dispose of an old corrugated asbestos roof. While not a huge amount compared to your figures, it is something to keep in mind, particularly as you will need to ensure your builders respect the material and don't try to take it down/dispose of it themselves.

Are you going to paint it yourself?
Any new carpets or new wooden floors?
Also, are you going to tile/retile any of the bathroom(s)?
Any work needed in the garden - decking/paving/new garden shed?

Thanks to everyone.

I am actually enjoying the quick witted responses and learning a bit too.

Joe Nonety - Painting myself, carpets, tiles in kitchen, tile 1 bathroom, no garden work.

Sherman - Hadn't even though about this one. Good catch.

Ned_ie - Good point, I need to check this out with a structural survey.

TarfHead - 8K IEP Strikes me on the high side for 8-10 PVC windows.

Leo - Gas Heating with Rads, Attic budget is for a conversion.

Thanks again,
Dan B

danb said:
TarfHead - 8K IEP Strikes me on the high side for 8-10 PVC windows.

That was the mid-point quote we got from established firms. Come to think of it, it included 10 windows, a porch door, a patio door and some blockwork to convert a window space into a patio door space.

Anyway, IMHO, the price of work is not what you or I think it should be, rather it is the price that someone is willing to do it for.

From experience [1960s 4 bed] I'd say you are underestimating the rewire and heating costs. We paid c. €9k and €7k respectively. Gas heating and all new radiators.

Hi danb
I used to buy, renovate then sell Victorian properties. One thing I have learned is nothing ever goes to plan, the other is you never know what's to be done till you start stripping. Sometimes one opens a real can of worms. The subsidence issue is a strong one. There are many ways to cure this, but some are costly and require expert guidance. An estimate is exactly that, an estimate. Often the reality with a project like this can be very different. One needs to step back sometimes and look at the bigger picture. Will the effort and cost be justified at the end of the day? Having no knowledge of your background I ask do you have the skills to take on something like this. You will have to deal with many different tradesmen, go by what they tell you. But more importantly their deadlines might not follow yours. No shows, delays and the games people play can take the fun out of these projects. Luckily for me I was able to undertake the majority of work myself. But even then I sometimes asked myself ''why the hell do I do this?''
I am not trying to dissuade you, at all. All I'm trying to say is step back and put the emotional reasons for buying this property away. Having not seen this property my advice could be wrong and you could end up with a pleasing project. I'm just giving you my best advice based on my own experience.
Good luck and hope it turns out well for you.

The cost of 8 - 10 PVC windows is more likely to be around €6 - 7k. At least that's what I paid recently. Of course the price will vary depending on size and type you go for.

Are you sure your fascias and soffits and guttering are OK? If not, add a few grand more to replace those, depending on the size and materials you chose. You might also need more insulation than just the attic- if you have some cold walls and they are not cavity walls (which can be injected with insulation) you should conisder dry lining- we had this done in our 50s house but it was part of a bigger job so sorry I don't have an indicative price.

Back