Thermostats?

spinal_tap

A quick query — I have gas-fired central heating and the boiler has a temperature control. I also have actual thermostat controls for downstairs and upstairs.

My question is — do the upstairs/downstairs thermostats override the boiler temperature for the heat delivery to the rads or how does it work?

Also, should I set the boiler on a relatively low temp to use less gass and just leave the thermostats on 20 degrees???

Any advice??

I should think that there would be little or no saving in gas by doing what you suggest. The boiler will be working for longer to get the temp up to 20 in the house.

I would have thought that you would be better putting thermo valves on your radiators and only heating the parts of the house in use.

I should point out that we have just completed changing all of the casements in our house to new, with the Pilkington K glass double glazing and our thermostat in the hall is now set on 17 degrees.

Got what I thought was a good deal for, for this stage,54 wooden casements, two new hardwood sills fitted and primed with all new window furniture. Total cost was £5400 (GBP)

Local company who have done work for us before, notably replacing a bay window complete with double glazing as above. Bay comprised softwood frame with hardwood sill and 14 casements in softwood with K glass as above. Furniture as above and painted.
Cost was just under £2000.

Always set your boiler to as high a temp as possible. Asoiler running at a low temp is totally inefficient, think of it as a car, you would not switch your car on and off every few minutes, it has to warm up to its correct heating point, you will have heard that cars that do a lot of UK motorway miles are a good buy as the engines are always ruuning at best operating temps. Same for gas boiler, to have it clicking on and off is bad news.

Also by sending round very hot water ur house will heat up quicker and be a nicer place to live. Adding rad valves is a bonus but the whole system has to be balanced properly.

good luck

noah

Thanks for replies

>NOAH — Plumber told me in old house (with OFCH) to use timer on boiler and leave it off for a 15 minute cycle in every hour in the evening — he said it would save oil, while rads would not get cold. It seemed to work.

He also told me to turn down the temp on the boiler, as it was a needless waste of fuel.

I'm kind of dreading the first gas bill!!!!

Back