Theoretical equity investment in own company

StephenJ

This is a theoretical question, but I'm keen to know the answer.

If I start up a company and capitalise it by purchasing shares in the company (i.e. equity investment) then is it possible for me to withdraw my funds in the future without paying tax on the income? e.g. paying out via dividends wont' work as I'll incur tax at my marginal rate. Is it possible instead for the company to "cancel" the shares and return my funds to me (without me paying tax on this).

How about making a loan to your own company instead? Be wary however, there are rules around this too not just from a tax POV.

As Setanta12 said use a loan route and it is much easier and simpler. Repay your loan when the company has the spare cash and no tax/company law issues. Redeeming shares is a tax nightmare, usually liable to income tax, and can be difficult from a company law route.

If I start up a company and capitalise it by purchasing shares in the company (i.e. equity investment) then is it possible for me to withdraw my funds in the future without paying tax on the income? e.g. paying out via dividends wont' work as I'll incur tax at my marginal rate. Is it possible instead for the company to "cancel" the shares and return my funds to me (without me paying tax on this).

Short answer, no.

A loan from you to the company can be repaid at any time with no tax due on the loan repayment.

Back