Theft/Loss of credit card while abroad

max

If you are robbed or manage to misplace your credit card while abroad, can you withdraw cash at a bank if you still have the credit card number, expiry date?

I would have thought that the first thing to do is to cancel the card...

Coming back to your query, I don't think so..

if you lost your visa you need to ring 0014105813836 its a low call number from anywhere in the world. they will sort everything out for you they will cancel your existing card. and give you a code to go to your nearest western union. there you can get any money that was left on your existing card and more. happened to me in thailand its not nice i know! :eek:

If you put in that number in a Google search, it is issued by credit card issuers in Germany and Italy as the number to ring. It is not on any english-language sites. The dialling code is certainly US, but does not necessarily ring in US.

For Visa:
You should contact the bank or organisation that issued your Visa card, however there is also the Visa Global Card Assistance Service which offers toll free numbers in a lot of countries:

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/ivelostmyvisa/lostvisacards.jsp

The page also tells you that there is something calls emergency cash displacement which was discussed above.

However to the best of my knowledge that options is only availalbe for some card issues (I know MBNA does it but PTSB does not).

For Amex:
Any Amex office will do worldwide (even Amex travel offices) and they also take care of "continued charge", "replacement card" and "emergency cash).
Amex is superiour there, they tell your hotel that they approve the charge even if the card is lost, it takes 24/48 hours for a replacement card and you can get emergency cash in the tavel office.

For Mastercard:
Similar to Visa there is the MasterCard Assistance Center
[broken link removed]

Last time I lost my AIB visa (3yrs ago) I was able to get emergency cash at a nearby bank (ABN-AMRO). I just had to give my details over the phone and then AIB arranged for money to be made available when I arrived at the bank with my passport.

Back