The Youth Reach Programme

Ireland.1

I am not overly familiar with the workings of the Youth Reach Programme so if I have this wrong please correct me.

A friend of a friends son attends one of these programmes. The son did not want to sit his leaving certificate in a mainstream school so moved to Youth Reach too earn "money".

His school protested that he was a gifted student etc. etc. but there was no stopping him making the move as his mother thought there was no problem with him attending the YR programme as she would still be in receipt of benifits for him whilst he also would receive a weekly payment from YR.

Why does Youth Reach feel the need to pay students and were is the funding for such a programme received from?

"Why does Youth Reach feel the need to pay students and were is the funding for such a programme received from?"

1. Probably has something to do with "all children of the State being treated equally." Furthermore, there is enough people screwing us with false Social Welfare claims etc. Why not the secondary school kids?

2. The Irish Taxpayer foots the bill, as usual, did you think somebody else did?

Last edited:
Whatever the reason his mother took him out of mainstream schooling, I think the young lad will be a great influence on the other early school drop outs, hopefully he will keep up with his academic ability, classes are smaller and pupils have more one to one with the teachers.