The Wire - which was the best series

pinkyBear

Over the past few months I have become addicted to the series "The Wire". I finished series 4 last night:( and I am starting series 5 on Friday! I for one am at a loss as to how I can cope without "The Wire"...

For those of you who have not seen it I will give nothing away...:)

However for those of you who have seen it.. WHat in your opinion was the best series???

For me, series 3 was the best, but series 4 the darkest....

I love them all now but first time around I wasn't a big fan of S2. I suppose I wasn't expecting it after getting familar with the west-side characters. I watched it a second time after I had finished the series and it fitted in brilliantly. It also gives us the line that sums up America today.
"We used to build stuff... make things. Now all's we got is our hand in the next guys pocket."

I guess it's like a book. I wouldn't take any series in isolation as they all compliment each other.

Yeah, I think each series has its strengths.

I really liked series 2. The Sobotkas and the Greek.

Have you seen Idris Elba in Luther? It was fantastic. They say they think he will be the first black James Bond.

Have you seen Idris Elba in Luther?
No I haven't, I want to! I note from here "it is expected to air on BBC later this year", it would be sad of me to start planning my life around Luther now!!!

Luther has already been on BBC and got 'meh' reviews.

All 5 seasons of The Wire stand equally always against each other. Why the need to pick one over the other ? As Clay Davis would say S ......
................................................................. t " ;)

Over the past few months I have become addicted to the series "The Wire". I finished series 4 last night:( and I am starting series 5 on Friday! I for one am at a loss as to how I can cope without "The Wire"...

Then get yourself down to Treme ! ;) Watched it over the hols and it's excellent. Different to The Wire but similar in that the (same) writers assume you're able to figure stuff out for yourself, like characters and relationships, without spoon-feeding you the back story and endless recaps.

Tarfhead - where did you watch Treme? i havent seen it listed on any tv channels?

as for the wire here is my listing of series in order of preference:

S3
S1
S4
S5
S2

by the way if you ever get a chance read the book called homicide on which the wire is based (the police side of things), brilliant read and also very dark in humour, first time i ever found myself laughin out loud whilst reading a book, although it was about some guy who was shot to pieces!!!! currently reading 'the corner' (the drugs gangs side of things) and thats turning out pretty good too. some depressing reading.

I liked the luther series, not produced quite as highly as the wire or something to the HBO standards but was still good. thought some of the acting from Idris was a bit ott and also couldnt get the thought out of the back of my head that he should have been selling apartments rather than cathing the bad guys:D:D

also try watching generation kill, good watch about the 2nd invasion of Iraq.

Last edited:
Tarfhead - where did you watch Treme? i havent seen it listed on any tv channels?
AFAIK, SKY have bought Treme from HBO and will be screening it in a few months.

.. currently reading 'the corner' (the drugs gangs side of things) and thats turning out pretty good too. some depressing reading.
Also a six-part HBO mini-series. Also David Simon and also Baltimore and also featuring some actors who subsequently got roles in The Wire.

.. also couldnt get the thought out of the back of my head that he should have been selling apartments ..

Had the same thought after seeing him in US Office - seeing people being disrespectful to his character and half-expecting Slim Charles and Cutty subsequently turn up to settle the score :D !

Yeah Tarfhead was going to get the box set on amazon and have a look at it. Has anyone ever watched OZ the prison drama from HBO (i think?). any reviews of it from people on here?

Yeah, I think each series has its strengths.

I really liked series 2. The Sobotkas and the Greek.

+1

Frank Sobotka was one of the strongest characters. The evolution of his motivations from running an old-school union and protecting the workers' jobs through an incremental series of moral trade-offs through to the end of the series was fascinating to watch unfold and really exceptionally well written.

Last edited:
Back