The wheels turning but the hamsters dead (fog lights)

Brianp

I wish people would turn on their car lights during rain, fog and poor visibilty. Driving back from Dublin today, it's scary how many people dont drive with their lights on when necessary. Are people afraid they might get charged on their ESB bill?? Com'mon people, think! turn on your lights!!!

Re: The wheels turning but the hamsters dead

...and turn OFF your fog lights when there is no fog. It never ceases to amaze the number of people out there who treat them like regular lights, I would really like to hear the rationale for doing this from someone who does it.

...and turn OFF your fog lights when there is no fog. It never ceases to amaze the number of people out there who treat them like regular lights, I would really like to hear the rationale for doing this from someone who does it.
There seemed to be about the same number of drivers using fog lights in the recent heavy foggy mornings as on any other morning, e.g. about 1 in 20 drivers.

I wish people would turn on their car lights during rain, fog and poor visibilty. Driving back from Dublin today, it's scary how many people dont drive with their lights on when necessary. Are people afraid they might get charged on their ESB bill?? Com'mon people, think! turn on your lights!!!

Agreed, I drive a scooter to and from work, my lights cannot be turned off. They can be turned to a higher beam for really dark conditions and fog etc....

I would also add some cyclists to that list. I have passed a few this winter, with no lights, no hi-viz jacket (dressed in balck) no helmet, no gloves - pure bonkers!

Agreed, I drive a scooter to and from work, my lights cannot be turned off. They can be turned to a higher beam for really dark conditions and fog etc....

I would also add some cyclists to that list. I have passed a few this winter, with no lights, no hi-viz jacket (dressed in balck) no helmet, no gloves - pure bonkers!

Can the guards do something about it.? Perhaps they should Fine people who dont turn their lights on and cyclists who dont have hi-viz jackets/lights on etc.

Fog lights are for fog, not for when it is raining. Put on dipped headlights.

Fog lights are for fog, not for when it is raining. Put on dipped headlights.

Absolutely right! To be honest, i would've been happy with people even using their hazard lights. At least they could've been seen then.

Can the guards do something about it.? Perhaps they should Fine people who dont turn their lights on and cyclists who dont have hi-viz jackets/lights on etc.

I don't think there is any legal obligation to have hi-viz jacket, though front white light, rear red light and rear red reflector are obliged by law. I've heard of gardai stopping and prosecuting cyclists without lights, though I've never seen it happen myself.

Its a pity all of the drivers on the road from Tralee to Dublin yesterday don't read this thread. As a previous poster said the lack of lights was shocking. The fog on the journey varied from light to quite thick yet this did not seem to affect the behaviour of other drivers especially with regard to lights..some geniuses were observed with no lights at all, others with just parking lights. Whats the problem with driving on dipped headlights when visibility is poor? The proper use of fog lights is another ball game altogether. No doubt we will see rear fog lights on for the next few weeks until these clowns discover that they are on....In some US states they have a law which says that you must have dipped lights on when its raining. Personally I think it would be a cost-free way of reducing accidents if such a law were introduced here. (sorry for the rant!)

I think it is strange when cyclists where hi-viz jackets but have them covered with a bag on their back, what is the point in wearing it we cannot see it. Walkers aswell that do not bother wearing one on dark mornings and nights.

Why not add tailgating to the list of offences as well; I've been using the car a lot more that normal recently and I am amazed and annoyed at how other motorists will tailgate in hazardous driving conditions- such as fog, ice and heavy rain. I like to leave some braking distance in front of me, why isn't this basic rule of safe motoring universally adopted? Oh, and the mobile phone law isn't making a jot of difference either! Rant over.

I think it is strange when cyclists where hi-viz jackets but have them covered with a bag on their back, what is the point in wearing it we cannot see it. Walkers aswell that do not bother wearing one on dark mornings and nights.

I have front and back lights and wear a hi-viz jacket and a bag. The bag covers some of the jacket at the back but not all and the front is not covered at all. If I put the jacket around the bag I wouldn't have any hi-viz to the front. I think having back lights and some of the hi-viz to the back is sufficient.

I'm forever seeing people when there fogs on during the day when no fog.

Actually its more like there parking lights, and the fog lights. I think there trying to look cool or something :rolleyes: TBH it doesnt bother me during the day but at night it would certainly blind you if somebody behind you had fog lights on.

I have front and back fog lights. Never use them. Only in fog.

Even today i was behind people who had there rear fogs from yesterday like eh hello the fog has cleared. turn of your light! :mad:

Back