the value of apr.

D

darag

apr has come in for a bit of a bashing from some in the credit union thread. it seems people don't appreciate how fundamental apr is in determining value.

for example, someone suggested you just look at the size of the repayments to appreciate the value on offer. this is like comparing the cost of a bag a spuds without looking at the weight. yes a bag may cost 2.50 in spar versus 4 in dunne's but that tells you nothing about the relative value; the one in dunne's could be twice the size of the one in spar. this is why supermarkets seem to be obliged (i believe) to quote cost per kilo or per liter for many food stuffs.

with loans there are a lot more variables than just weight to consider but basically apr does for loans what cost per kilo does for kerr pinks. the variables to consider with loans include: the amount borrowed, the number of repayments, the size of the repayments and the amount of the final ("balloon") payment if any. there is a well known formula in finance which reduces all of these factors down to a single figure called the "rate" which still depends on the term (length of time) of the loan. the "apr" figure is an annualised version of this rate figure which factors in how long the loan runs for.

obviously given two loans, if the borrowed amount is the same and the repayment schedule is the same then comparing the size of the repayments will tell you which offers the best value. however, just like when you are looking at two different sized packs of sausages wondering which is better value, often you don't have the exact same conditions attached to two different loans which makes it difficult to work out which is the best value. however given the price per kilo, you can immediately figure out which is better value.

in the credit union thread, crugers gave an example where the same apr and the same loan amount and repayment schedule led to different monthly repayments. however i am unable to make sense of any of the figures in that message; i started by just looking at the aib figure of 229.63 per month for 60 months - this gives a total amount of repayments of 13777 which doesn't tally with his later figures. i gave up at this stage. basically i don't buy his claims that apr calculations are not an exact science.

on advantage of apr over cost per kilo for spuds is that you don't even have to worry whether the potatoes are muddy or bruised or half sprouting. one bank's hundred quid is as goods as another's.

Hi darag

A good posting on the advantages of APR.

One other important advantage which few people consider, is that APR allows you to calculate the interest you are paying which is the real ongoing cost of the loan.

If someone borrows €100k @ 3.5%, the real cost of servicing that loan is €3,500.

If the annual repayments are €6,000, most people think that the cost is €6,000. But the real cost is €3,500 and the difference of €2,500 is capital repayment and the equivalent of savings.

But people comparing the cost of buying vs renting often compare the rent to the repayments. This would be correct if it was an interest-only loan, but it's not correct for repayment mortgages.

Loan consolidation companies will abuse this. "We will consolidate all your loans and reduce your repayments from €2,000 a month to €1,000 a month". People jump at this, not realising that the term is being extended from 3 years to 20 years. They do not realise that the APR is going from 10% to 17%.

There are problems with APR, but they are tiny compared to the abuse of other methods of comparison.

Brendan

Well, well, well!

I see we have two of the prominent figures from the CU thread combining for bit of an APR fest! - darag who rolled the CU ball and hopped it and then stood back and Brendan who chooses to use langauge more befitting back street money lenders to describe the actions of CUs.

Darag - your comment
this is like comparing the cost of a bag a spuds without looking at the weight. yes a bag may cost 2.50 in spar versus 4 in dunne's but that tells you nothing about the relative value; the one in dunne's could be twice the size of the one in spar
is patronising in the extreme. No one who is casting doubts on the usefulness of APR is suggesting that we use different criteria to measure the APR. If a consistent formula was available to take into account all the various factors I would definitely agree that APR would be useful.

Seasoned financial journalists often say to ignore the quoted APR, look at how much it costs per month (obviously, for the same amount of loan).

Slim 8)

I don't think that darag's spuds metaphor is patronising at all. Simple metaphors like this are very useful for forcing home some otherwise arcane abstract technical financial point to people who are not familiar with the terminology.

I've sort of lost track of the main criticisms or alleged flaws with APR as a criterion on which to evaluate the cost of credit but surely the fact that it is generally accepted worldwide as the best measure of same is significant?

Seasoned financial journalists often say to ignore the quoted APR

Which seasoned journalists? I can't imagine a financial journalist lasting long enough to be seasoned if they go around giving out this kind of advice.

-Rd

analogy

to slim,
Im gonna back up O here, I read the entire CU thread and at times got lost because I dont have a firm grasp of some of the money language being talked. I personally love the "bag of spuds" type analogys as I can the put the explanations into perspective. It unmuddied the financial waters so to speak.

Im sure unmuddied is a word.

Re: analogy

No it's not.

The word you're looking for is "demuddiffied".

value of apr

Hi Darag!
Sorry you couldn't follow my logic over in the other thread. I'll try to make this post simple.
AIB online quote for a €10k loan:
60 monthly repayments of €229.63.
They say the APR for that loan is 9.80%
BOI online quote for a €10k loan:
60 monthly repayments of €236.46.
They say the APR for that loan is 9.80%

You correctly multiplied 60 x €229.63 for AIB and found that you will have repaid €13,777.80.

Now the tricky bit!

Multiply 60 x €236.46 for BOI! (hint! it starts with 14187 and ends with.60)
I think you will find that AIB's 9.80% APR is better value than BOI's 9.80% APR by €409.80.

Brendan says its just rounding errors but you would get a lot of Kerr Pinks for €409.80.

QUESTION: When does 9.80% APR not equal 9.80% APR?

Re: value of apr

crugers

Great post! Not easy to answer.

A 4% difference over 5 years between APRs is too much. Even if it that works out at less than 1% a year. I don't think that rounding can account for that. I suspect that one of the calculations is incorrect. I might take a day off and try to figure out the formula used in the Consumer Credit Act to see if AIB or Bank of Ireland is doing it incorrectly.

I emailed my credit union and asked for a written explanation of how they calculate interest. They emailed me back and asked me to ring them and they would explain it to me over the phone. I replied that I wanted a written explanation,so I will wait until I get that.

So it seems as if the Credit Unions aren't great at formulae either. And I will guarantee you one thing, it won't make any allowances for the shareholding required to be left on deposit to secure my loan.

Can we agree on anything?
When looking for a loan, ask the potential lenders what the APR is?
If it's a credit union, ask them what deposit is required?
If any institution's APR is more than 1% higher, reject it.
If two institutions are within 1%, compare the repayments for the same amount and for the same period.
Finally, check if there are any other additional benefits, such as free insurance.

Now I am off for a pint and a bag of crisps. It must be all that talk of Kerrs Pinks, which I thought was a type of pig.

Brendan

It must be all that talk of Kerrs Pinks, which I thought was a type of pig.

I thought it was an Irish version of the Busby Babes!

(That one should really confuse Brendan!) :lol

slim, i'm not trying to patronise anyone. i just wanted to explain why it is unfair to claim that apr is just some sort of fictional statistic invented to heckle credit union advocates. also, i've already explained why i wanted to avoid getting into the pros and cons of credit unions lending. you may not believe this but i'm actually interested in working out a formula for the apr associated with credit union loans purely as an intellectual exercise. ignore the banks v. credit unions thing for a moment and imagine that, for example, you and your spouse were both members of different credit unions and between you needed six grand to buy a car; your union offered you eight grand at a rate of 8% if you put two on deposit earning 2% while your spouse was offered nine grand at a rate of 7% but had to keep three on deposit earning 2.5%. which would you go for? is it heretical to talk of putting these numbers into a formula to work out which offers the best value?

crugers, thanks for trying to simplify things for me but i'm still confused. in your original post you claimed the total cost of the aib loan was 2,504 when the total repayments on the 10k was 13,777.80. where did this 2,504 figure come from? i actually put your figures into a calculator and 229.63 a month for 60 months for 10k works out at about 14.25% apr. to be generous to you, the aib online calculator may have a serious bug which has escaped their attention. if i were cynical, i'd say you're just bandying about figures hoping nobody will actually check them. by my calculations the repayments at 9.8% apr should be 209.50 or thereabouts per month. if aib is quoting an apr of 9.8% but demanding 229.63 a month, then they have a serious case to answer for to the authorities and to satisfy you i'll make it my business to raise it as an issue to the asai. could you give us a reference for your figures?

Just to clarify on the figures.
10k over 60 months:
AIBs online calculator quotes €208.40 per month before payment protection, which I believe is included in crugers figure? APR 9.8% Interest is indeed €2,504.

darag

I accept your bonafides and Brendan's without reservation. Perhaps I am being too sensitive. However, I feel that someone has to stand up for CUs in this forum. That is not to say that I would defend any practice which is misleading.

I would welcome a formula which would be flexible to cope with the variations which surface when you have >530 diff. organisations doing their own thing.

I think there are perceptions abounding which may need to be shattered or modernised.

I have a loan of over 20k from my CU. I had at one time a share balance of 5k which was frozen. I considered moving to a loan of 15k with a bank. However, I prefer the flexibility of paying in each month as and when it suits me, i.e. no direct debit hitting my bank acc. on a fixed date, very unforgiving. I find some comfort knowing that I have that 5k there if I need it and I arrange with the CU to reduce the balance.

Slim 8)

Re:Re: value of apr

Hi darag
I would welcome a world standard formula for APR that could be relied upon. I would be slow to recommend as difinitive, what we have at present. A good pointer, maybe, but with conditions attached.
The spud is as you said is sold in kilo's. The kilo is presently defined, I think, by reference to a cylinder of platinum and iridium, held by the International Committee on Weights and Measures in a heavily guarded chateau outside Paris, in ideal athmospheric conditions and very limited access. They also hold the "Standard Metre".(I'm open to correction on both these "facts"... ). The Irish State have their "Standard Kilo" which is calibrated by reference to the Paris one. In turn retail scales should be calibrated by reference to the Irish Standard kilo. Hence we can have confidence that our kilo is the same as a French kilo, is the same as a Dutch kilo...
My example demonstrated that an AIB 9.8% APR did not equal a BOI 9.8% APR. Both quotes were from the personal loan calculators on the respective websites.

Apologies for the confusion, I should have stated that I was using different quoted figures.

The AIB / BOI comparison used their quotes for repayments "inclusive of payment protection" for the simple reason that the APR's matched but the repayments differed.
When working out the cheapest loan I used their repayments "exclusive of repayment protection insurance". (The APR's quoted did differ for these)

It could be misinterpreted as bandying figures about willy nilly, but luckily you're not a cynic, that thought never crossed your mind and my reputation is unsullied!

Re: Re:Re: value of apr

hi crudgers; if you really want a standard formula it's out there in any book on basic finance. prepare to be shocked, but there are legally binding actuarial rules for the calculation of annual percentage rate in many countries and they all use this standard formula. it's not that i'm an expert in such matters; the first thing that came up from google was regulation z in the states, for example, which forces credit card companies to use this formula.

i'm not in the least bit surprised that you would admit that "the aprs quoted did differ for these" when the repayments were different even though you presented these repayment figures are solid proof that apr was a flawed concept. strangely, i had a sneaking suspicion that you were happy to include figures unrelated to the loan repayments into your numbers. the first set of numbers (relating to the aib loan) that i looked at just didn't add up. if you want to make an honest attempt at showing the flaws of apr, please go ahead. if you want to prove that one institution is cheaper than another for loans then start a different discussion.

your example did not demonstrate that aib's apr was different to boi's apr. it showed that aib's loan repayment plus an optional insurance premium was more than boi's loan repayment plus an optional premium for a different insurance policy.

Re: value of APR

Hi darag
My apologies again darag. It seems I have inadvertently confused, as you said yourself, "...the few brain cells..." you've left.
What I want is a Standard APR formula that can be relied upon by all and used by all, not one that is used in "...many countries...". One like the "spud" kilo, same worldwide!
You are absolutely right when you said:
"...your example did not demonstrate that aib's apr was different to boi's apr..."
Luckily that's what I was trying to do!
AIB 9.8% APR on €10k; BOI 9.8% APR on €10k. They quote the same APR.
But what it did prove is that 9.8% APR means something different in AIB and BOI.
If the only information you were given was that you had to choose the cheapest loan - €10k over 60 months @9.8% APR, you can't say which is best. You need more information. You end up paying more with one. But which one?
So how can you rely on the quoted APR as a definitive guide to best value?
As you will see, here in this thread, I have not attempted "...to prove that one institution is cheaper than another for loans..."
I've stuck to the APR issue!
But isn't that the point of APR's, to prove one loan is cheaper, or dearer, than another, comparatively speaking?

The formula for APR is set out in the Consumer Credit Act.

They really should not differ and I will draw this issue to the attention of IFSRA who should check to see if it needs to be redefined or if AIB or BoI has got it wrong.

Brendan

crudgers, yes you can simply use the apr figure. the figures you quoted to "prove" the flaws with apr included an optional payment protection insurance. if you want to use the spuds analogy - it's like claiming that comparing cost per kilo for spuds is flawed because a head of cabbage and a four kilo bag of spuds costs more in one supermarket than another even though the cost per kilo for spuds is less.

i very much doubt that us irish decided to reinvent the formula for calculation interest rates. while very small variations can happen depending on the way the figures are rounded during the calculation, if there is a difference of more than .5% in the level of repayments given the same loan amount and payment schedule, then it is very likely that someone has made a mistake in their calculation. the flaw is then with whoever miscalculated, not with the concept of apr.

Value of APR

Hi darag
You said:
"...i very much doubt that us irish decided to reinvent the formula..."
But you did ((1+r-f(1+d))/(1-f) - 1), because the formula as is, won't work where CU's require savings to be kept in place for the duration of the loan.
I'd like an APR formula that can do the biz for all!

I revisited both BOI and AIB loan calculators today and found:
AIB Quote:
10000 for 60 mths @9.8% APR fixed rate, no payment protection Monthly payment: €208.40
BOI Quote:
10000 for 60 mths @9.8% APR, fixed rate, no payment protection Monthly payment: €214.49

Looks like "...someone has made a mistake in their calculation..."

Back