The safety of the new vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's going on now?
Supply issues is cited in the AP story. Pfizer hasn't commented yet, but its the US market.
Since we are getting ours from Purrs in Belgium and they have plenty produced it might not affect us .
Of course Pfizer being Pfizer and they have already sent a batch via United Airlines last week to test how things worked out, the flight was from Brussels to Chicago as the plant is in Michigan.

The CEO of the HSE, Paul Reid, has said Ireland has capacity to acquire 16 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines.

Why do we need 16 million doses? There's 4.9 million people in this country so we need 9.8 million doses to vaccinate everyone. What are the other 6.2 million for?
I would imagine it would be for contingency, we know that everyone will need to get 2 doses, obviously not everyone will take it initially or never and some doses might be damaged.........I'd say the list is long....at $20 a dose a go that's $32m or about €25m.

Suppose the are just being extremely conservative in the planning.

I would imagine it would be for contingency, we know that everyone will need to get 2 doses, obviously not everyone will take it initially or never and some doses might be damaged.........I'd say the list is long....at $20 a dose a go that's $32m or about €25m.

Suppose the are just being extremely conservative in the planning.
Better looking at it than looking for it?

UK REGULATORS HAVE issued a warning that people who have a history of “significant” allergic reactions should not currently receive the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine after two people who had the jab yesterday had allergic reactions... It is understood both have a significant history of allergic reactions – to the extent where they need to carry an adrenaline auto-injector with them.
The MHRA advice states: “Any person with a history of a significant allergic reaction to a vaccine, medicine or food (such as previous history of anaphylactoid reaction or those who have been advised to carry an adrenaline auto-injector) should not receive the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine.
Resuscitation facilities should be available at all times for all vaccinations. Vaccination should only be carried out in facilities where resuscitation measures are available.”
The two NHS workers developed symptoms of “anaphylactoid reaction” shortly after receiving the vaccine, but both recovered after the appropriate treatment.

Theres another one reported in a UK site of a feeling of severe cold eventough the temp of the recipients was normal.

I'd imagine there is going to be loads of this for months.
As the name sake of the 2nd UK recipient yesterday would muse " to be or not to be " ....
2 out of how many would provide context, if this was the only side effect we'd be laughing it most certainly won't be.

Of course Pfizer and Mylan have merged some business units and Mylan the biggest E- pen producer in the world are going to make a fortune.....

Seriously when I was sick I had my stem cells harvested, as I was getting " high dose chemotherapy " on the first reintroduction of my stem cells, I had a bit of a fit, it wasn't a allergic reaction but my body had a difficulty receiving its own stem cells back......

Subsequent reintroductions passed without incident, thankfully.
The body and its workings can be very unpredictable but hopefully these incidents are well within the risk " bell curve " and reporting done in context.

Who hasn't had a child grumpy after the MMR?

For anyone wishing to take this vaccine, God kiss you good luck.
Why? It has been declared safe. Yes the technology is new in that its been used first but people have been working on this for years, in fact one of its main proponents won the Noble Prize for Medicine in 2005 , I think.
This is probably safer than any vaccine made as your dna isn't directly involved, your Rna carries a message to your T4 and T10 cells to watch out for this , your Ts takes note , and if it finds a match produces a protein CD86? that attacks the Covid protein that allows it to "stick " onto your cells and reproduce.
The m in mRNA stands for messenger, and now cancer, diabetes, and multiple other chronic diseases might finally be cured using this and CRISPR.
People were afraid of penicillin too.

Just reading CNBC news site, apparently the US Army are in charge of distribution with UPS and FedEx, however they (the US Army) are holding back 50% of doses in case of " issues "
The US Army has for some reason declared today " D Day" .....Holy moly

I see that Spain don't expect to have their citizens fully vaccinated until July - September of 2021. Holidays to Spain may be on hold for a little while yet.

How Will Spain And The Rest Of Europe Roll Out COVID Vaccinations? - Sanitas Health Plan Spain
This might be worth a thread of it's own. What do people think of summer holidays abroad in 2021? Likely to happen or not, or is it a bit too early to predict until we know more about the vaccine roll out plans? I've heard some people suggest that things will be back to normal by Easter 2021 which seems a bit optmistic to me but I would love to get away again next summer, as I'm sure many others would.

I see that Spain don't expect to have their citizens fully vaccinated until July - September of 2021. Holidays to Spain may be on hold for a little while yet.

How Will Spain And The Rest Of Europe Roll Out COVID Vaccinations? - Sanitas Health Plan Spain
That would be expected Id say Europe as a whole would be similar.
Wonder if they are basing this on only having one vaccine?
By February 2021 there could be 5 available and this should increase the amount of people who are vaccinated.

If this goes well I think we all will look forward to a few weeks in the Sun in 2021

Jeremy Farrar of the Welcome Trust in the UK has said that everything going well( with no disruption to supply etc. )and 1000 doses a day over/per 500 clinics working everyday will take a year to vaccinate the UK population with 2 jabs.

No further details were added on Sky News this morning and I suspect that we might be in the same place as our infrastructure for such a roll out wouldn't be as robust as the UK, I hope dearly that I'm wrong.

I know this thread is about the safety of the vaccines, but it might morph into the effectiveness, given that the virus appears to have mutated, and there is some evidence that the mutation might be to do with the spike that is all important.

Not trying to scaremonger here, and there is now a rush to see what the mutation is, and how/if it affects the effectiveness of the present batch of vaccines.

This is just another strain. The Italian strain was most prevalent in Ireland during the spring. The Spanish strain has been the most common in Europe during the second wave.
Mutations are normal. In the short term there’s nothing to worry about.

Could it cause complication for the vaccines that are based on attenuated strain of virus rather than mRNA ones?
e.g. annual flu vaccine needs to include multiple strains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back