The safety of the new vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very Monty Python. In Cork RTC in the 80s we were given 3 options but couldn't take the first 2.

I don't understand your comment.

People will have a choice - get vaccinated or not.

But those who choose not to get vaccinated, will not be able to do a lot of things in public. They can make that choice. We don't have that choice now - we can't travel or go to pubs. Those of us who are happy to be vaccinated, will be able to do so in future. Those who don't want to be vaccinated will continue under the current restrictions.

Brendan

I don't understand your comment.

But those who choose not to get vaccinated, will not be able to do a lot of things in public. They can make that choice. We don't have that choice now - we can't travel or go to pubs. Those of us who are happy to be vaccinated, will be able to do so in future. Those who don't want to be vaccinated will continue under the current restrictions.

Brendan
Just a tongue in cheek response , I agree with you but the civil liberty crowd would be up in arms, not to mention the Gemmas of this world if this was introduced.

Months pythons comedy was generally contradictory or maybe that's just me.

@Paul O'Mahony, are you saying that the Pfizer Phase III trials have been concluded and have been published?
No but the data is now with the FDA ,EMA and UK regulatory authorities for emergency use.
The trials and monitoring will continue for a while , trails may become more detailed with certain demographics and monitoring will as stated continue for 2 years of the volunteers at least.
As I said above they'll all need licences and that will require detailed analysis of everything including site visits to production facilities including 3rd parties, vial producers for example, distribution, storage, QC/QA,contingencies, risk and people's skills. Qps are the main ones here.

These are huge undertakings but its believed that some will start in January.

I'm certainly no anti vaxxer generally, but I do have reservations about the speed at which this has been developed/tested.

It should be noted that mRNA vaccines are significantly quicker to develop than traditional vaccines. The whole process of growing weakened versions of the protein is eliminated and that element can take years with normal levels of funding.

It should be noted that mRNA vaccines are significantly quicker to develop than traditional vaccines. The whole process of growing weakened versions of the protein is eliminated and that element can take years with normal levels of funding.
Not really Leo, Astrazeneca/Oxford vaccine is the old way I believe but the data sharing helped.

But also mRna being used for anything to do with vaccines was laughed that for the last 20plus years by mainstream science.

The Biontech people were researching cancer vaccines using mRna hoping to find vaccines but at an individual level, as most cancers are individually unique.
They ploughed on as did the girl who's behind the Moderna vaccine.

Absolutely!

If and when the various vaccines receive Emergency Use Authorization, then recipients would have to be told that they are about to receive an unapproved vaccine under an EUA.

For instance, people about to receive the annual flu vaccine are given a patient information leaflet setting out the benefits and risks.
Sometimes they are advised against flu vaccination because of existing medical conditions. One of my relatives, an asthmatic, cannot get vaccinated when he is wheezing badly or has a bad cold.

People would typically be guided by their GP or consultant, who taking account of their individual health status, will weigh the benefits of available vaccines against possible risks.

Since it is expected that priority will be given to those most at risk, the benefits/risks to age and comorbidity would be of particular interest to health experts.

Time will reveal full details.

If I am vaccinated would I fly or go to a crowded bar next year.
I don’t know, because, at present, I don’t know exactly what safeguards the vaccines offer to me or to people with whom I have close contact.

Of course, that does not rule out future advancements of fully approved vaccines.

Last edited:
Absolutely!

If and when the various vaccines receive Emergency Use Authorization, then recipients would have to be told that they are about to receive an unapproved vaccine under an EUA.

For instance, people about to receive the annual flu vaccine are given a patient information leaflet setting out the benefits and risks.
Sometimes they are advised against flu vaccination because of existing medical conditions. One of my relatives, an asthmatic, cannot get vaccinated when he is wheezing badly or has a bad cold.

People would typically be guided by their GP or consultant, who taking account of their individual health status, will weigh the benefits of available vaccines against possible risks.

Since it is expected that priority will be given to those most at risk, the benefits/risks to age and comorbidity would be of particular interest to health experts.

Time will reveal full details.

If I am vaccinated would I fly or go to a crowded bar next year.
I don’t know, because, at present, I don’t know exactly what safeguards the vaccines offer to me or to people with whom I have close contact.

Of course, that does not rule out future advancements of fully approved vaccines.
I'm sure there were many worried about other vaccines but now with the Internet we thankfully can express those worries which is a good thing.

Vaccines aren't just made for anything once they always improved on as more data is gathered.

I'm sure there were many worried about other vaccines but now with the Internet we thankfully can express those worries which is a good thing.

Vaccines aren't just made for anything once they always improved on as more data is gathered.

I am aware of that Paul, but I shall still seek the advice of my consultant.

I think people will be aware of the EUA. They probably won't understand the amount of validation that a vaccine has to go through to get a EUA.
There will be people who cannot take this vaccine due to being immunocompromised for whatever reason. That's why it is so important that those who can take it do take it.

I don't think you need reservations on this aspect.

The companies halted most of the other research and threw everything at this. Which is why they have come up with some vaccines so quickly.

Likewise the approval process won't take shortcuts. But they have a team on standby to review this as soon as the application is submitted. It won't go to the back of a long queue of other drugs.

Brendan
Can you explain how they can fast track 4-7 of testing that it normally takes before approving a vaccine? No amount of money thrown at it or experts working on it can do that unlike what they want people to believe.

There can't be longitudinal studies but there is a massive amount of data being generated and analysed.
The data and the nature of mRNA vaccines suggests that they are intrinsically safer as the virus, alive of dead, is not in the vaccine and so never enters the body.

Can you explain how they can fast track 4-7 of testing that it normally takes before approving a vaccine? No amount of money thrown at it or experts working on it can do that unlike what they want people to believe.
This isn't normal vaccine development, data was shared and the biggest clinical trails in human history preformed, over 500,000 participants.
Normal vaccine development does take years but its usually one company like Pfizer or GSK , additionally getting trial volunteers in normal time is a slow and laborious process. In fact there is a company in California that are trying to make a one shot vaccine for all the vaccines we take individually, measles, rubella etc and they are struggling to get human volunteers and are testing on pigs in Honduras.

The Ebola vaccine was pretty quick too.

Dunno if this is the right thread .......This morning I was watching BBC and it mentioned that a small study of 10 people who had Covid-19 but remained short of breath and tired, it was found that 8 of the 10 had lung damage.
Again finding this is a new approach using xenon gas to highlight the damage.
If this is replicated in larger studies the numbers of people who will continue to endure ill health could be significant.

I know people are cautious with the vaccine but surely the mounting evidence of other side effects ( including the virus residing in the bowel) of having and recovering from the virus would probably negate possible side effects of the virus if any?

I think that over the next few years the longterm effects of the virus are going to unraveled and understood and the true extent of actually getting the virus can be a lot more damaging than the symptoms we see now.

I read that according to initial analysis by the CDC and announced by Moncef Slaoui, vaccine "czar" in the US that between 10 and 15% of clinical trail volunteers did " notice significant effects" after receiving the vaccine.
These included soreness in injection area and severe chills , but it noted that these passed in the majority after a couple of days.
I tried linking to the story, but its on cnbcs website

I read that according to initial analysis by the CDC and announced by Moncef Slaoui, vaccine "czar" in the US that between 10 and 15% of clinical trail volunteers did " notice significant effects" after receiving the vaccine.
These included soreness in injection area and severe chills , but it noted that these passed in the majority after a couple of days.
I tried linking to the story, but its on cnbcs website

That seems a higher number than get similar responses to the flu vaccine... and perhaps the symptoms are more severe also.
I think it will have to be factored in, especially rollout to frontline staff, that you may have to writeoff the next 48 hours rather than just carry on as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back