The rare old times and strikes

franmac

Regarding the current economic situation and the union representing our armed forces refusing to assist in the public transport and ambulance strikes a song ? comes to mind that I remember as a child was:

Roll along army lorries roll along
Take the people off to work and dont be long
Since the buses went on strike De Valera bought a bike
Roll along army lorries roll along.

I think I remember that bus strike , kinda. I also remember the postal strike in 1979/80. At time had applied for Uni and AIB but due to post strike AIB interviews didn't go ahead til was most way through 1st yr. Went to interview, got job then decision...stay at Uni or take job in AIB....was having good time so stayed at Uni and left the secure well paid job in the bank go. Should I send a belated thank you card to those striking postal workers.

As one of those striking postal workers in 1979, I'll be happy to accept a thank you card!

My grade (post office clerks) were only on strike because we were in the same union as the postmen who wanted a wage increase, so when we went back to work after 4.5 months, there was no change in or working conditions....other than all the overtime we could eat! Even the strike pay got lost in a black hole somewhere.....

I was in Our Ladies in Crumlin at the time and there were some routes still running and out of sheer boredom from the long days would compile lists of the buses I saw going up the Crumlin road, so when my older Brothers and Sisters would eventually come to visit using the strike as an excuse for not coming more frequently I'd produce the list! Being able to use emotional blackmail willynilly must be one of the greatest things about being a kid lol.