The Premiership and RTE

boaber

Why are RTE are still calling this programme The Premiership?

Don't they know that the league changed it's name to The Premier League

For the same reason that BBC call their program "Match of the Day" when they now show highlights of all the matches....it's just a name!

- Totally agree and John Giles keeps calling the Premier League the Premiership.

I'm sure RTE would not like us to call RTE2 Network2 or N2- No I dont think so!

[broken link removed]

am I right in thinking it was called the Premier League before? In the season after the old first division and before the advent of the Premiership?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League

The Premier League (officially known as the Barclays Premier League for sponsorship reasons, colloquially known as The Premiership), is a professional league competition for football clubs located at the top echelon of the English football league system (above The Football League). ...

In the same piece

Sponsorship
Since 1993, the Premier League has been sponsored. The sponsor has been able to determine the league's sponsorship name. The list below details who the sponsors have been and what they called the competition:

1993–2001: Carling (FA Carling Premiership)
2001–2004: Barclaycard (Barclaycard Premiership)
2004–2010: Barclays (Barclays Premiership (2004–2007) then Barclays Premier League (2007–2010))

Shouldn't they just call it the "RTE delayed transmission of the Sky League highlights that are carefully packaged to avoid ruining the image of the greatest league in the world.....probably"

Sorry, just a thought.

Back