The Popes Children (David McWilliams) anyone have any opinions on the book?

S

SteelBlue05

About 3/4's the way through this book. Its very negative and seeks to stereotype people into groups based on their behaviour. Its a bit over simplified.

Its also very meandering and so far hasn't actually suggested any future scenarios or any implications of what it discusses. Maybe the last few chapters will go that route.

One thing I found odd was that according to the book the rational response to the increasing traffic problems is to buy smaller vehicles. I wouldnt have thought that was a rational response at all, how about a better infrastructure, public transport etc etc.

Anyways, anyone have any opinions on the book?

i suppose it might be classed as a rational response in ireland as we will probably never see a better infrastructure in our lifetimes?
another negative nelly!!!

I thought it was about 150 pages too long with most of the chapters degenerating into a "rant". Very disappointing.

pity i have it reserved in the local library, might not bother now...

Yeah - don't judge a book by it's cover; judge it by what somebody else says about it...

Haven't read the book but intend to .. some day.

I don't always agree with his point of view but I believe his views are a good addition to the media landscape in Ireland. Agenda on TV3 was usually worth your time, as was his stint on Newstalk 106.

I am currently reading Freakonomics and I think this is what DMcW is trying to emulate/aspire to.

When he says 'traffic problems' is he referring to pollution?

Surely smaller cars won't solve congestion problems?

CCOVICH said:

I'll have to go back to the book to check but I am pretty sure it was relating to congestion problems.

From what I can see (snippets in the Indo & flick through book) he seems to be mad keen to coin phrases that would make it to general usage. e.g. if he coined something like "Celtic Tiger" he'd be on cloud nine.

For instance, in his book I saw "deckland" (referring the greater suburbia in Meath & Kildare) getting great mention.

He's the one voice consistently telling us theres going to be a property crash - I doubt he'll be proved right but no harm to have a voice of caution. Am I right in thinking he was abroad for many years? - he just gives this impression that he's arrived back from years away, has found the lunatics running the asylum and is setting about putting it right.

SteelBlue05 said:
I'll have to go back to the book to check but I am pretty sure it was relating to congestion problems.

I'd love to know how smaller cars solve congestion-does he suggest that we could fit two Micras to a lane on the M50 ?

TarfHead said:
I am currently reading Freakonomics and I think this is what DMcW is trying to emulate/aspire to.

Just finished Freakonomics, thought it was very interesting, especially how it is not worth an estate agents extra work for the commission of 5 grand.

brodiebabe said:
Just finished Freakonomics, thought it was very interesting,

It's worthwhile bookmarking the Freakonomics Authors Blog as well if you liked the book. Not really a blog I suppose, in the true sense, but has some interesting takes on various topics from time to time.

(re David Mc coining "Celtic Tiger") I wouldnt have thought so. "Celtic Tiger" is around for years & years. Its a natural extension of the tiger economy phonomenon of Japan, Sth Korea etc. - these "sunrise" industries were the tiger economies of their day.

So when Ireland "took off" - someone or more likely loads of people said ... "Ah, Celtic Tiger". And now we hear the bloody thing ad nauseum - & the gas thing is its usually bemoaning the problems it has brought - I'll take the problems of success over the dole queue.

Janet said:
I thought he was the one who coined the phrase Celtic Tiger?

I've often heard that one about DMcW coining the phrase but a bit of googling
says it was first used in the Morgan Stanley Euroletter,
'The Irish Economy: a Celtic tiger' 31 August 1994 written by Kevin Gardiner

So unless they stole the term from DMcW after interviewing him they've prior claim.

I found the "Pope's Children" is an entertaining read.

CCOVICH said:

To roughly quote from his book...page 132.

"The traditional laws of economics are based on the almost extinct idea of rationality. Thus when a society is faced with a problem like congested roads the rational respose should be to buy smaller cars and mopeds to get around more efficiently. No way, Jose! In Ireland we respond by buying huge 4x4s that take up more space".

Is it me or is that a crazy expectation from Mr McWilliams?!

Good job this guy isnt a politician. Shortage of beds in A&E? Solution: Only admit people less that 4 feet tall and squeeze in 2 in a bed.

I think it's ridiculous proposition. The bit about mopeds makes sense, but smaller cars? Like I said, one lane=one car. If 'efficiency' was referring to fuel usage, then fair enough, he'd have a point.

He sounds like he's another one of these '4x4s and SUVs are the spawn of the devil' types. To hell with him. Drivel by the sounds of it. How could you take him seriously after his stint on afternoon TV on RTE anyway-he was one of Colin Murphy's favourite targets on The Blizzard of Odd not so long ago!

I have'nt read the book, but I used to read his [broken link removed]; I read his pieces for about a year, but I found his work increasingly simplified and drenched in ludicrous attemptes at coining new phrases. The final straw was when he started writing for The Indepedent! There he is the populist economic commentator; who counteracts the more serious and far superior Brendan Keenan.

I enjoyed the book - particularly his descriptions of the ludicrous bouncy castle mania that goes with the first communion season in Ireland. I wouldn't take the book too seriously, mind you - but it was fun & entertaining.