The orangefest

And they say NI is making progress.

Yeah right.:rolleyes:

Saw a bit of the Belfast parade on TV this morning and its good to see that the youngsters are being indoctrinated into hatred nice and early. And so the cycle continues.............

well i thought it was a case of trying to match the Patricks day celebrations until i saw the 8 year old king Billy etc and the adult's on horseback.
Still if it passes off peacefully its saying something about progress.

Well it didn't pass off peacefully and probably never will. At least the Patricks Day Parade is a chance for the whole island to celebrate our commonality have a few beers, laugh, relax with the family and enjoy the occasion. The 12th is all about 2 fingers to the neighbours, grim-faced intransigence and teaching the young to hate & discriminate. The two parades couldn't be further apart in ethos.

The orangemens attempt to 'sell' the parades as tourist attractions is a real laugh as far as I'm concerned. Maybe they are right. In time it will attract visitors as did Victorian freak-shows. Because that is what it really is. A freak-show which has no place in a modern and inclusive Ireland

To be fair, it seems to be the Orange Order that are proclaiming Orangefest with street performers and encouraging tourists and Catholics to come along.

The rioting has all been caused by Nationalists and the Orange Order seem to have behaved with dignity and restraint for once.

Well it didn't pass off peacefully and probably never will. At least the Patricks Day Parade is a chance for the whole island to celebrate our commonality have a few beers, laugh, relax with the family and enjoy the occasion.

I hate the orange order as much as the next person but to be fair I imagine they feel exactly the same way about Patricks Day Parade as we do about the orange march. And as said above they are making some effort to be more inclusive.

It's a slow progress , but it's not too long ago both side were bombing chip shops and pubs.

To be fair, it seems to be the Orange Order that are proclaiming Orangefest with street performers and encouraging tourists and Catholics to come along.

The rioting has all been caused by Nationalists and the Orange Order seem to have behaved with dignity and restraint for once.
Yes, it's dignity and restraint personified, the bonfires bedecked with tricolours, 'kill all taigs' signs, signs praising the greysteel massacre etc. The marchers and their blue bag brigade supporters shouting sectarian abuse. Paint bomb and graffiti attacks on Catholic churches. Singing about being up to your knees in fenian blood. Dignified as ever.

Yes, it's dignity and restraint personified, the bonfires bedecked with tricolours, 'kill all taigs' signs, signs praising the greysteel massacre etc. The marchers and their blue bag brigade supporters shouting sectarian abuse. Paint bomb and graffiti attacks on Catholic churches. Singing about being up to your knees in fenian blood. Dignified as ever.

Added to the fact that their whole ethos is anti-Catholic/Papist/Rome/Republican - it's ironic that they feel the need to march in Donegal since as far as I'm aware there's no Queen's highway in the Republic!
Maybe they should be invited to build a bonfire in the Phoenix Park next year??

I hate the orange order as much as the next person but to be fair I imagine they feel exactly the same way about Patricks Day Parade as we do about the orange march. And as said above they are making some effort to be more inclusive.

Why would they feel the same about a parade celebrating a non-sectarian (the church hadn't split in his time) saint and what it means to be irish? Patrick is the saint of the whole island of Ireland.

The orangemens (and I draw a distinction between ulster protestantism (from which my family draws some of its bloodline) and orange-ism) pathetic parades are just exercises in exclusion, hatred, racism and all that is the very, very worst in the 6 counties and their benighted history. We'll never really move on until this sort of triumphalism is expunged from our island.

Why would they feel the same about a parade celebrating a non-sectarian (the church hadn't split in his time) saint and what it means to be irish? Patrick is the saint of the whole island of Ireland.

I think they celebrate St. Patrick's day in their own way. I think they are just opposed to how the Belfast celebrations have been carried out in the past. As you say, St. Patrick pre-dates the reformation and his grave is at a Protestant church in Northern Ireland.

There has been movement away from that with some areas doing a beacon instead of a bonfire but I think, in any case, the bonfires and the bands are separate to the Orange Order. The Orangemen tend to be very dour, tee-total, bible thumping Christians.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6685061.ece

If they want to celebrate their Protestantism then good on them, as long as there is no accompanying criminality. There was a time in Northern Ireland when Protestants had the upper hand but this is no longer the case so they can hardly be triumphalist.

Leave them to it. They have made genuine efforts to integrate this year and I think they should be commended.

There is very little difference between the Orange Order and the KKK. KKK members hide behind hoods, whereas Orange Order members like to be seen in public.

Could you imagine the uproar in America if the KKK was allowed to have large scale marches?

There is very little difference between the Orange Order and the KKK. KKK members hide behind hoods, whereas Orange Order members like to be seen in public.

Could you imagine the uproar in America if the KKK was allowed to have large scale marches?

In what sense is there little difference?

There are a load of black Orangemen in Africa

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41153000/jpg/_41153953_orangeblack203.jpg

To be honest, I would wonder why they are bothered. You'd think they'd have more to do out there than sign up to that organisation but there you go.

If all the Orange Order are doing is walking down the road to a field to listen to a protestant vicar droning on about eternal damnation then I see no issue with it whatsoever.

Northern Ireland has one more public holiday than us. I'd be delighted if we got a day off for it and I wouldn't care if they blocked up the roads marching down them.

Criminality is another matter but there are no reports of any misbehaviour by the Orange Order yesterday.

In what sense is there little difference?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41153000/jpg/_41153953_orangeblack203.jpg

To be honest, I would wonder why they are bothered. You'd think they'd have more to do out there than sign up to that organisation but there you go.

If all the Orange Order are doing is walking down the road to a field to listen to a protestant vicar droning on about eternal damnation then I see no issue with it whatsoever.

Northern Ireland has one more public holiday than us. I'd be delighted if we got a day off for it and I wouldn't care if they blocked up the roads marching down them.

Criminality is another matter but there are no reports of any misbehaviour by the Orange Order yesterday.
If it was only a few old men walking to church then there wouldn't be a problem. As you well know there's a lot more to it than that.

...At least the Patricks Day Parade is a chance for the whole island to celebrate our commonality have a few beers, laugh, relax with the family and enjoy the occasion.
Don't give me that De'V dancing at the crossroads bull. The St Patrick's day celebrations are a nightmare for the Gardai. Drunken disorder, violence and destruction on a level which easily surpasses Orangefest, but just because the destruction and violence is non sectarian i.e. completely mindless, we applaud ourselves at being a cut above our Northern brethren.:mad:

to be the Orange Order that are proclaiming Orangefest with street performers and encouraging tourists and Catholics to come along.
They may be trying to encourage catholics to come along - but no stalls operating at the parade can be run by catholics!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...geblack203.jpg

Someone getting some Africans to pose in OO sashes as a novelty picture doesnt mean that there are any black African Orangemen. For starters, some of those in the picture are women & women are not allowed in the Orange Order. No doubt the poor unfortunates who were asked to pose the picture had no idea what the Orange Order is about.

Someone getting some Africans to pose in OO sashes as a novelty picture doesnt mean that there are any black African Orangemen. For starters, some of those in the picture are women & women are not allowed in the Orange Order. No doubt the poor unfortunates who were asked to pose the picture had no idea what the Orange Order is about.
I think there actually are a few oddballs in Africa and Canada who set up their own OO branches. A big song and dance was made in the northern media about some of them coming over this year.

Women aren't allowed into the OO, but they have their own womens OO.

I wonder how the local OO members would feel if the African OO took off their sashes and decided they were staying put in N.I. a lá Romanians/Poles etc...??

They definitely do have African Orangemen. They come over each year and are paraded in front of the cameras as an example of how open an organisation it is. It's quite ridiculous really.

I didn't know women aren't allowed in to the Orange Order as there were a few pictures of them at it yesterday. It is maybe similar to the GAA in that women are not allowed in the GAA but there are sister organisations to administer the women playing the sports as the men.

There are Orange Lodges in Canada, Africa, Australia, USA, England, Scotland, Wales. It is also a 32 county organisation in respect of Ireland with lodges in ROI as well as NI all administered by the same organisation.

They may be trying to encourage catholics to come along - but no stalls operating at the parade can be run by catholics!
I didn't see any stalls at the parade on the TV but apparently there were street performers and clowns after the marchers had walked past and they were both Protestant and Catholic although they went to great lengths to say they are nothing to do with the Orange Order. Just being paid by Belfast Council and showing up.

Back