The New U2

U2 sure they weren't even the best band of the 80's. I've my tickets for Simple Minds in Dec...hoping it'll be a good one.

And I bet U2 fans will use this new massive tour to claim U2 are still "the worlds biggest band", although some REM fans will probably still laughingly claim their fav band is.

The Irish Times doesn't see it like that. From last week:

"The title of best band in the world has been vacant since The Beatles split up in 1970. No band has come close to matching their creative or commercial success, not even U2, despite Bono’s hubris when he said they were reapplying for the “best band in the world job”.
Such presumption sits uneasily with the facts. The title of best band in the world is a matter of opinion. It is a fact, though, that AC/DC (180 million album sales) are a bigger band than U2 (140 million album sales) and probably the biggest selling band in the world. I
n the US last year, AC/DC’s new album Black Ice sold 784,000 copies in its first week of release, 300,000 copies more than U2’s No Line on the Horizon . With these kind of figures there is no contest in what is probably the biggest music market in the world.

Back in Black , the album AC/DC recorded in the immediate aftermath of the death of their first singer Bon Scott and the band’s finest achievement, is now the second biggest-selling album of all time after Michael Jackson’s Thriller.

AC/DC have managed to reach this elevated status by breaking every music convention and doing it all on their own terms. They are rarely heard on the radio, they have never released a greatest hits collection and they are one of the few acts in the world who can reject iTunes and still sell millions of records...

Their Live At Donnington DVD, released in 2003, is the most successful live DVD of all time and still their records keep selling...

AC/DC do entertainment better than any other band. That’s why they are the biggest band in the world."

[broken link removed]

U2's set list from Barcelona. I know you can't ever please everyone but there just seems to be so many obvious crackers missing from this.

Breathe
No Line on the Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Beautiful DaY
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Angel of Harlem
In A Little While
Unknown Caller
Unforgettable Fire
City of Blinding LIghts
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride (In The Name of Love)
MLK
Walk On
Where The Streets Have No Name
One
-------
Ultraviolet
With Or Without You
Moment of Surrender.

Im a U2 fan, but they'd find it hard to be in the top 20 album selling artists of all time. Thier last few albums sold very little on a "mega selling" album scale. Joshua tree was their biggest and still wouldnt be up there. World wide.

in highest grocing concerts theyd probably be no.1

U2's set list from Barcelona. I know you can't ever please everyone but there just seems to be so many obvious crackers missing from this

Agree.

What - no Bad? That's not good.

New Year's day? Wild Horses? etc etc

Can't believe they've included Angel of Harlem either. Very average, quite dull track IMO.

Bad
Sort of Homecoming
Electric co

Even if they just added those 3 I'd be happy - feckers have never played bad or homecoming for me.

I'm just delighted there is no "Bullet the Blue Sky" this time.
Quite looking forward to "Moment of Surrender" as the last song, but as for "Crazy tonight", brrr, never warmed to that one