The new normal

The distribution of the LPT will have to be adjusted. For every €1 spend per person on local services in Dublin there's €90 spent in Leitrim. If there is a greater balance of population and economic activity then there will be a rebalancing of State spending.

It's high time Leitrim stood on its own hind legs.

The discussion around the up-side or working from home is very blinkered towards the college educated middle classes.
Also alot of people WFH now may only be doing it as long as the corona lockdown lasts when the government subsidises are still there. Maybe as companies come under financial pressure they might decide they don't need all these WFH workers especially if they are not particularly skilled. They could just be a legacy of office based work which now they can do without.
Remember the "4th industrial revolution "is also about automating office based jobs, it's not all about driverless cars which is proving to be technically very difficult still.
Also is there a danger that teachers and other professionals are hollowing out their own professions by insisting on WFh. I think they are being very short sighted

not sure RedOnion - hard to say - previously I planned to get sanitary ware from a shop in Dublin and I wanted to check as well out shops in Northern Ireland - for the installation to use guys from the shop or recommended by the shop - that all changed

Peoples spending habits changed a lot and likely won't revert completely then this is over

Those most likely to have disproportionately curtailed their spending since March 2020 and to have been in a position to accumulate savings are also those with relatively low marginal propensities to consume. This means that the boost to consumption when the pandemic is over may be lower than would be the case if the shock had been equally distributed across households. There is also considerable uncertainty as to where and how quickly these savings will be spent, which will have significant implications for the recovery. For example, will the savings accumulated as a result of public health restrictions be spent in the areas that were closed, including restaurants and hotels? Figure 7 shows that home improvements and future holidays feature highly in households’ intentions while building savings is the most likely use. A potential avenue for these savings could be down payments on residential property mortgages
(...)

Wonder if there are plans to review the NDP

Last edited:
Also alot of people WFH now may only be doing it as long as the corona lockdown lasts when the government subsidises are still there. Maybe as companies come under financial pressure they might decide they don't need all these WFH workers especially if they are not particularly skilled. They could just be a legacy of office based work which now they can do without.
Remember the "4th industrial revolution "is also about automating office based jobs, it's not all about driverless cars which is proving to be technically very difficult still.
Also is there a danger that teachers and other professionals are hollowing out their own professions by insisting on WFh. I think they are being very short sighted
What is the connection between working from home and Corona subsidies? Corona subsidies are not given to all companies.

Companies usually do not pay office workers just for fun. Automation will surely impact as well white collar workers but also create a lift and shift and new jobs will appear as part of any automation drive.

Looks like the "new normal" is coming to an end on Monday and the "old normal" is returning with a vengeance as many office workers are now being required to return to the workplace on Monday. Of course WFH will continue for many for part of their working week but the claims by some that this was the "new normal" a year ago look like they were widely exaggerated

The company that I work for (just until the end of the week now) has c. 20,000 employees worldwide and thought that now was a good idea to introduce mandatory individual forms for employees applying for WFH and only allowing up to 2 days of same per week. And this in spite of record productivity and financial results over the past two years. :rolleyes: Imagine the cost of processing these forms for even a fraction of 20K employees... BS like this is part of the reason that I decided to leave after almost 17 years. The bureaucracy and dysfunction is just soul destroying and I can only imagine how much better the results/finances would be if they just applied some common sense to stuff like this... :(

The company that I work for (just until the end of the week now) has c. 20,000 employees worldwide and thought that now was a good idea to introduce mandatory individual forms for employees applying for WFH and only allowing up to 2 days of same per week. And this in spite of record productivity and financial results over the past two years. :rolleyes: Imagine the cost of processing these forms for even a fraction of 20K employees... BS like this is part of the reason that I decided to leave after almost 17 years. The bureaucracy and dysfunction is just soul destroying and I can only imagine how much better the results/finances would be if they just applied some common sense to stuff like this... :(
But business is rarely as efficient without face to face and head to head interaction, and that's been proven for near 100 yrs.

There is a blend , but most companies rely on the dynamics of being in the office, of course working from home doesn't have an immediate bad effect , but strategically it might.

If you have a good product that sells well things are good for a while and once the profits remain good and better than good like your example above .....great but competition will eat away.........

Every company has used covid for bad service and bad customer care and they'll continue to do so, until competition takes the market.

I can't see where WFH is an asset to aby business nor its employees......most of the people I know would wfh pre pandemic on Friday but even they say that it's not ideal and need to get back into office and work rest and play

The company that I work for (just until the end of the week now) has c. 20,000 employees worldwide and thought that now was a good idea to introduce mandatory individual forms for employees applying for WFH and only allowing up to 2 days of same per week.
I'm surprised any company of that scale didn't have that process nailed down years ago! Any employer facilitating WFH without a formal process in place is exposing themselves to quite a bit of risk. The H&S implications alone mean an employer who doesn't formalise the process is careless.

With the proposed legislation granting employees the right to request WFH, you can just expect increased bureaucracy and paperwork as employers will have increased obligations to show compliance with the regs and a fair process is in place and applied to each and every application.

Back