The Navan - Dublin commute?

Chim

I would really appreciate it if people could share info on when they leave Navan and when they get in to Dublin (specificialy, the city centre)... I usually leave at 09:30 to be in Dublin 7 for 11:00, but some mornings I have to be in for 09:00 and on occasion I've left at 06:30 and barely made it. Seems to make no difference whether I go via Dunshauglin - Blanchardstown or Slane - Ashbourne (both are equally convenient for me). Tomorrow morning I have to be up in Dublin for 07:45 and I'm wondering whether I'd just be as well off getting the 06:20 bus. Or would leaving at 6am make much of a difference?

Advice, and info on other people's experiences, would be very much appreciated! Thank you

Apologies if this is in the wrong place - maybe an administrator could please move it to a more appropriate thread if it is (can't figure out how to do it).

hi chim

im from navan and used ot live there though i canrt imagine what the commute is like now

did you ever go the nvan-waleterstown-skyrne-rathoath-hollystown-cabra way to town? i always used this way and believe me i tried everything and this is by far thebest way - if u need directions let me know-to be in dublin for 7.45, if you left navan at 6.30 you would be there for 7.45

Yep, I second that - it is by far the best way - shouldn't take much more then an hour to get from Navan to Cabra

Thanks guys! Got the bus this morning in the end, left at 6:20 and got to O'Connell St for 7:50.

Directions for the Walterstown-Ratoath-Cabra route would be very much appreciated! I've gone that way before with someone else but I'm iffy about trying it myself as after Skryne my memory of the route gets a bit muddled...

[Thanks also for moving the thread to the proper place ]

If you live on or near the Trim side you could try: Navan to Trim(15 mins) to Summerhill (+10mins) to Dunboyne(+15 mins) to Clonee(+5 mins)-etc. so 45 minutes from Navan to Clonee. I would estimate 15 to 20 minutes should get you to cabra from Clonee. So If you leave at 6am you should be there for 7am ish.

If your going in really early Park and Ride in Coolmine train station. Trip into town takes just over 20 mins from there, no matter how heavy the road traffic is.

Connolly is also the start of the Luas or you could continue on to Tara St or Pearse or get off and catch a DART.

Murt

I would estimate 15 to 20 minutes should get you to cabra from Clonee. So If you leave at 6am you should be there for 7am ish.

but you'd want to make sure there is a place to park your helicopter

Thanks for all the advice. The Coolmine option is out anyway as my schedule is majorly unpredictable and I can't really rely on public transport. Sometimes I have to be bang in the city centre for 8am, sometimes I have to stay in until midnight or even later. I tried leaving the car at home last year and it just didn't work out well so this year I ended up paying for a parking space in college (in Dublin 7).

ney001 I'm with you in thinking Froggie must be in a helicoptor!!! I regularly do the trip over to Trim and not in a million years could me and my jelopy make it in 15 minutes... But Froggie, I'd love to hear the route on the back roads from Clonee in to Cabra because the N3 at Blanch is the worst part of my journey when I take that route, and I wonder if I went up the slip road at Clonee would that help? After Cabra I need to head down through Stonybatter...

Any other takers? Anyone travel up to Dublin from Navan to be in for 9? What time do you leave? What route do you go?

OK guys, I am just back in the car having spent the last 8 monthe or so doing the commute on the bike so my times might be a bit rusty, I normally hit Cabra at about 6:50am, the traffic is very light at that time.

For the non believers, I timed my commute this morning: Dunboyne at 6:29, Clonee at 6:33, Clonee Exit at 6:35, Blanch roundabout at 6:42, M50 roundabout at 6:44, Ashtown roundabout at 6:46, Cabra Garda station at 6:48 (15 mins from Clonee) Old Cabra Road at 6:49, Phibsboro church at 6:53, Doyles X at 6:56, Mater Hosp at 7:00, Ould Triangle at 7:04, Gardner St at 7:06, Cross the Liffey at 7:10, Pearce St bridge at 7:14, Ringsend bridge at 7:15, Crawfords garage on the beach road at 7:17. Any questions.

Yup, how do you manage to fly and write at the same time