The most important invention of the past 2000 years and why?

I agree that electricity is the most important invention of recent times, but the question is about the past 2000 years. Electricity has only impacted on c.200 years, so has had little effect over the entire 2,000 year duration. Most important invention is probably one that came about in the early part of the this timeframe which still has influence today.

One suggestion:

The Roman road network - still in use today and allowed people, troops, goods and ideas to be transported throughout Europe very quickly.

Surely not - what about that cream you put on for thistle stings?

Naw, no cream required. As I said before, the trick is not to move when naked in a field full of waist high thistles. Running around naked in a field full of thistles in the rain would be just perverted. You sound like you are up for it though Fred ?

Naw, no cream required. As I said before, the trick is not to move when naked in a field full of waist high thistles. Running around naked in a field full of thistles in the rain would be just perverted. You sound like you are up for it though Fred ?

been there, done that

That was invented 2500 years ago. What's the best thing since sliced bread?

Doh.....doughnuts !! And I know a certain yellow faced cartoon character who would agree with me.

Venetian Blinds ............ cause if it was not for them, 'twould be curtains for the lot of us!

purple said:
That was invented 2500 years ago. What's the best thing since sliced bread?

Batch loaf?

I'd hardly call sliced bread a great invention - maybe if they perfected it by managing to slice it consistently - is it really so difficult to have ALL slices the same width?

epidural?
lidl?
spectacles?
hadron collider thingy (except it is broken already)

Venetian Blinds ............ cause if it was not for them, 'twould be curtains for the lot of us!
An Englishman, a Scotsman and an Irishman in hospital after successful heart procedures about thirty years ago. TV crew turn up and ask the Englishman, "What do you think is the best invention in the last two thousand years?" "The pacemaker, cause if it wasn't for that 'twould be curtains for me, answered the stiff upper lipped Englishman. The canny Scotsman answered "The stent that is keeping my artery open. Otherwise 'twould be curtains for me also". The excitable Irishman's answer is above.

I'd hardly call sliced bread a great invention - maybe if they perfected it by managing to slice it consistently - is it really so difficult to have ALL slices the same width?
Jeez, and I thought I had control issues!

I agree that electricity is the most important invention of recent times, but the question is about the past 2000 years. Electricity has only impacted on c.200 years,

Surely electricity was discovered and not invented.