The Marshes Shopping Centre - Dundalk: No place for people to sit

Joe1234

Was recently in the (new) marshes shopping centre in dundalk, with an elderly relative. There was not one seat or bench there, for them to sit down and rest for a while.

Re: The Marshes - Dundalk

only in it once Joe and now you mention it ---- saw a few seats outside though, obviously thought we live in south of france or somewhere warmer. dear spot too. would be interested to hear from la how it compares with new s/c in drogheda sometime. notice that tesco are fighting back already with a 5c discount of every litre of petrol if you spend €40 in either of their supermarkets. and they are going to move the outlet in the 'old' s/c closer to the marshes in the next few years.

cuchulainn

I understand from she who must be obeyed that the parking charges there have been 'reduced' from €2 for two hours to €1 per hour.
This shurely was an aborted attempt to rip off joe public and his car -the management has quickly responded shamefacedly resulting in this climbdown - it is a disgrace.

think the charges are levied by town council. not sure. I wont be paying them anyway. If you spend €20 in Dunnes you get two hours free.

Was back in the marshes today. I wonder if the powers that be read AAM, as there are now a few benches there.

I cant figure out how all these shops hope to survive. for those not familiar with it, the marshes belies it name. its a sooper dooper modern shoping centre which is probably competing with buttercrane and the quays. and I see the new 'village' outlet in Dundalk has now gotten the green light. where will it all end. in empty town centres I suspect. Maybe drogheda corporation have the right idea - no out of town shops, though that has resulted in a protest in drogheda at the refusal to grant permission to aldi/lidl to open in the new MI retail park

cuchulainn, it might be sooper dooper to your wife, but to me it is nothing but women's clothes, clothes and more clothes with a couple of coffee shops thrown in.
Was in the Metro Centre in Newcastle recently - now there IS a sooper dooper. We were there for five hours and only saw one quarter of the place - there was even a circus going on upstairs as well as a monorail.
Us men had a good time as well as there were bookies,massage parlours, creches,personal shoppers, pub and DIY stores and that in one quarter of the place.
Like you I can't see where all the punters are going to come from - what with Harveys complex ,Northlink, proposed Tescos - I think these places are half empty in the daytime. What is the rent there? €2,000 sq mt pa.?

newcastle on a saturday night is hard to beat all right. dont know about the shops as I was only there once and it was for a footie weekend, easy jet in and out and a good few scoops on the saturday night. 30 years too old though. maybe just as well!