The Late Late show Band and what it costs.

Plus one ..
Im sure many bands would propably pay RTE to get a chance to such exposure!!

Last edited:
Some history behind the move - Tubridy did not want to loose his band when he moved and there was some negotiation to get RTE to agree to the move (from Tribune, 26 July):

Station bosses have agreed to Tubridy's wish that the Camembert Quartet move with him from his Saturday night show but have insisted the group drop their name.

Led by writer and Liveline regular Clint Valour (aka Paddy Cullivan), The Camembert Quartet had a starring role in five series of Tubridy Tonight. However, from September they will simply be known as the house band on the Late Late Show.

"One of the innovations in the forthcoming season of the Late Late Show will be a live band," an RTE source told the Sunday Tribune. "People will recognise them immediately as the five members of The Camembert Quartet but they won't be appearing under that name. This is because the message we are sending out is that this is going to be the Late Late Show, not Tubridy Tonight on a Friday."

The move will bring to an end RTE's bizarre practice of hiring session musicians on the Late Late Show to mime behind guest performers.

"It make sense to have a backing band available on the Late Late Show if a guest wants to perform but also to warm up the audience before the show. We hope it will add to the atmosphere," the RTE source added.

Hiring session musicians on the late late to mime behind guest performers??

Im sure I have seen performers on and they dont use the late late band,so cant see how this makes sense.

Wonder does it mean that if they have a guest on and that guest wants to sing but hadnt intended too,then there is a band available?

If so ,its another "just in case" that the taxpayers are forking out for.

I dont mind tubridy doing the late late, but I really hate that band. I particularly hate having to look at them, yuck!

Really not bothered about who the band are,so its not personal to the late late band,in fact I think they are really good.

Can taxpayers afford the luxury of a band on the late late show.

"I know they do weddings etc and obviously lost work on Fridays due to their late late show commitment."

Surely the move to Friday night will mean more work for them as a wedding band on a Saturday night. Aren't there more weddings on Saturdays then Fridays?

We hired this band for a xmas party a couple of years ago and they cost 2.5k plus vat for 2 hours, but have to say they were brilliant and the dance floor was full the whole time

We hired this band for a xmas party a couple of years ago and they cost 2.5k plus vat for 2 hours, but have to say they were brilliant and the dance floor was full the whole time

Was this a work xmas party? If so, did you work in the PS at the time?