The Late Late show Band and what it costs.

thedaras

The band that are on the Late Late show,( used to be on Tubridy tonight) must be paid a lot for their Friday night stint on the show.

I know they do weddings etc and obviously lost work on Fridays due to their late late show commitment.

My point is that Id be very surprised if they didnt get a least 3 to 4 grand(minimum) for the Late Late.

Now thats a lot of money coming out of the taxpayers pockets.
So why have them there at all?

They are brilliant,but do we really need a full band to do a jingle every now and then on the show?

Can we afford this kind of expense ?

Why dont RTE have up and coming bands that would be more than happy to do that gig for free and getting them exposure?

If they got 4k a week ,thats 16k a month which adds up over ten months to 160K!!!

Id say they played about 20 seconds of jingles and perhaps one song,lets give them the benifit of the doubt and say they play for 15 minutes on the late late.Now that would work out at approx 266 euro a MINUTE!!

They are brilliant,
Excuse me ?

Their sad pathetic attempt to emulate Dave Lettermans band is really quite cringeworthy.

Sack them now and save us from their belief that they in some way have reflected fame from being on the Late Late.

They are brilliant,but do we really need a full band to do a jingle every now and then on the show?

I find them boring and annoying. They should go - it should be Brian Lenihan's number 1 priority...

Thats a considerable multiple of what the band gets. Maybe you should check your facts a little better in future.

I don't think thedaras mentioned any facts? Just an opinion.

Do you know how much they get per show?

Thats a considerable multiple of what the band gets. Maybe you should check your facts a little better in future.

Perhaps you could take the time to read the original post says before you jump in with snide remarks..

You stated that is a "considerable multiple " of what the band gets,so you obviously know the facts..why dont you enlighten us ?

The point is that the country is going down the toilet and I question the need to have a band at considerable cost to the taxpayer to play a few jingles on the late late show every friday night for approx ten months of the year.

Perhaps a solution would be to get them to record the jingles and get royalties for it.

I find them boring and annoying. They should go - it should be Brian Lenihan's number 1 priority...

I dunno about it being a priority,but then again neither would
expenses have been at one time..every little bit helps..

Perhaps you could take the time to read the original post says before you jump in with snide remarks..

You stated that is a "considerable multiple " of what the band gets,so you obviously know the facts..why dont you enlighten us ?

You seem well capable of the snide remarks yourself so. I know that the Late Late does NOT pay high rates for musicians. I don't comment here on what I don't know.

Is the Late Late Show's band's guitarist Jimmy Smyth from The Bogey Boys? And is Jimmy Smyth a sister of Gloria who tortured us for years with her version of "One Day At A Time?"

I heard that question debated in a pub one night years ago.

Last edited:
... would you be a professional musician by any chance?
If the answer is "yes" then it's more than can be said for Tubridy's Twangers or whatever they are called; they're pretty appalling IMHO, but then so is Tubridy.

If the answer is "yes" then it's more than can be said for Tubridy's Twangers or whatever they are called; they're pretty appalling IMHO, but then so is Tubridy.

..Regardless of how good ,bad ,indifferent the band are ,the issue I have is the cost.

Having looked at some websites and from what I can gather,(bearing in mind that its the internet.)..the prices for a wedding were 5.000 euro and apparently are now around 3.500 euro,and thats for just two and a half hours in some cases...

I'd be more worried at the €15k a week that Tubridy gets for interviewing other RTE heads and his FF relatives.

Yes but there are a lot of other expenses that all add up,like hiring a four/five man band to play every friday night.

These things tend to get overlooked like the TDs expenses,untill someone highlights it.

In a way the payments to the so called RTE stars are out there in the public domain,but other things go unmentioned and everything needs to be looked at.

I'd be more worried at the €15k a week that Tubridy gets for interviewing other RTE heads and his FF relatives.

Indeed, guilt by association, how fair and balanced.
Maybe it's just to balance all the "stickeys" doing the rest of the jobs?

Yes but there are a lot of other expenses that all add up,like hiring a four/five man band to play every friday night.

I don't know their rate.
But the producer could probably get away with slashing it, after all that band get to perform on a national show. Now that's mega publicity and it'll generate a lot of business for their other bookings.

A decent and up and coming band would do it for free if they knew it would launch them into hundreds of thousands of households. Sign them to a contract for one season,

Now you may reply you won't get anyone good to work for free or very little
I'm sure the producers could get someone just as good as the current band