The langers are making a hames of our language.

ajapale

The langers are making a hames of our language...

The hiberno-english discussion Is Hiberno-English dying? raised in the new noticeboard section can be continued here:
If you can't make it to the lectures, check out Prof. Dolan's super web-site here: [broken link removed]. The archive is well worth a browse.
Terry Dolan is always entertaining on Moncrieff's show on Newstalk.

Language is changing all the time, like it or not, and generally we don't like it, but it is always evolving and taking on new expressions etc.

As a matter of interest, does anyone identify with or is familiar with some of the words on the Hiberno-Englihs website above? I can't say that I was...

Heard someone talking about it on the radio today and the defense was something along the lines of 'but everyone from ____ (Dublin placename) has an American accent'. Low self confidence or keeping up with the Jones's? - the mystery deepens.

The new accents are certainly appearing - but not overnight as it happens... alot up it emminated from the yellow-wellie brigade in 'Crosser' - yu know if you are well enough off to have your boat parked up at the RCYC & fly off here& there to support the Munsteeur rugger

Once and a while I notice that some topics get derailed over the same friggin thing - comments on grammer, spelling, punctuation ..... just get over it..... I can't spell & I actually don't really care.

ninsaga

Last edited:
Good morrow to you! if you aren't familiar with these words then you must be an eighties baby I'll see you bye and bye.

Language is changing all the time, like it or not, and generally we don't like it, but it is always evolving and taking on new expressions etc....
Yes but a lot of these so called expressions are picked from American tv and used with the annoying false accent a lot of people use today. There is one radio presenter that reads the news she puts on this false accent and stumbles over a lot of words because she never said them in false accent before. This accent did not evolve it came in with a bang.

Popular culture has always had an effect. Nowadays, with world wide media coverage freely available, it's inevitable that language changes. Years ago we were not exposed to so many different accents and so had nothing to imitate.

Popular culture has always had an effect. Nowadays, with world wide media coverage freely available, it's inevitable that language changes. Years ago we were not exposed to so many different accents and so had nothing to imitate.

Olivia O'Leary had a good piece on the radio about it a couple of years ago. You don't get as many broad vowels nowadays.

But people travel more nowadays, pre-1985 it would have been relatively unusual to commute more than ten miles to work.

Good morrow to you! if you aren't familiar with these words then you must be an eighties baby I'll see you bye and bye.

eighties? Maybe you like it more like 1880's if the words from
[broken link removed]
are contemporary for you??

Being keen on correct spelling, so sorry for the earlier typo!

eighties? Maybe you like it more like 1880's if the words from
[broken link removed]
are contemporary for you??!
1880's These word's were used as recently as the late 1970's early eighties. Have you a stupid false accent?