The Kitchen Minefield

Jonathan

Has anyone experience of using Cash and Carry Kitchens. They have a large advertising campaign nationwide, and seem quite cheap compared to most others on the 'highstreet'. There are a couple of potential catches that I can see and here goes - The showroom models already look a bit shoddy, so who knows what the ordinary punters kitchen is going to turn out like, secondly Cash and Cary supply the kitchen and you find the fitter, and it seems to me that if there is a problem you will get caught between the kitchen company blaming the fitter and the fitter blaming the Kitchen supplier. For about 3K more for our kitchen one firm will supply the kitchen and fit it with their own full time fitters, and it is made from solid wood not laminates that CnC use. Expensive but maybe better in the long run, who wants to do this exercise frequently! Any feedback out there on Kitchen suppliers in the 7-10K bracket.

Jonathan,

If you run the search option in this forum you will see that there are many previous threads on Cash and Carry Kitchens.

I have a kitchen supplied by them - hubby fitted it as cash was tight at the time. Its nearly 4 years old and my only complaint is that the worktop veneer has chipped along one edge of the island unit, me thinks hubby didn't stick it properly;)

I was so pleased with the quality of their product, that I also purchased fitted wardrobes from them for our room and our daughter's room. One minus is time-frame, kitchen was 7 weeks wait, wardrobes were 5.

Bought a kitchen from them three years ago - had granite worktops supplied separately.

To be honest, I'd spent months loking at various kitchen outfits and felt they offered pretty much the same quality as anywhere else. Coupled with fitting I still had a saving over quotes from other companies. If memory serves me correctly - one outfit quoted 10k. It's a largish kitchen, cash n carry came in at around 3k, leaving me plenty for granite. (Can't recall exact cost of fitting - but wasn't much)

One word on solids - great idea and sounds top notch - but in my experience from a previous house they don't wear as well as mdf/laminates. Couple o years of wiping clean and solid kitchen units suck. (unless painted and repainted and.........);)

In the meantime have had no probs with C&C gear.

Thanks for replies.

Take your point Kendr on the laminate versus solids, we have laminate wooden floors and they would survive a nuclear meltdown!

Don't like the sound of the lead time for C and C ACA.

I took Suellen's advice and looked through the previous threads and I would say that at least 70-80% of the feedback on C and C is positive. Is that a fair comment Suellen as you seem to be the kitchen expert!

On balance I might just go with C and C if I can vet the fitters first, as they are quoting 4,640 (fitting 650 extra), Patterson's 7,700 and In Kitchen 6,200 for more or less the same laminate kitchen with chipboard carcasses. All of them are quoting about the 2k mark (+/- 150) for the stainless steel finish appliances including double oven, extractor, integrated dishwasher and fridge freezer. We have a new ceramic hob anyway.

On lead time C and C are quoting 2-3 weeks, In Kitchen 4 weeks, Pattersons 4-6 weeks.

I am in Galway and at the risk of asking what has been asked before can anyone recommend Galway fitters ?

I will be glad when this Kitchen episode is over as we are getting crippled with information coming in all directions from kitchen suppliers often conflicting!

I took Suellen's advice and looked through the previous threads and I would say that at least 70-80% of the feedback on C and C is positive. Is that a fair comment Suellen as you seem to be the kitchen expert!

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry I missed your question above. As far as I can recall most of the feedback on C&C has been good. I can't comment on them personally as I got a private fitter (since retired) and used The Panelling Centre, who both worked out well.

When one looks at the prices quoted in this thread it makes you appreciate €5k approx.

Know where you are coming from on the overload of info. I spent so long looking at kitchens when we got ours a few years back that I nearly lost interest in the whole job.

My one recommendation to anyone getting new appliances is to make sure to get a self-cleaning oven.

Back