The @ key doesn't work - help.

justsally

I've just tried using my e-mail on my new laptop - but the @ key doesn't work. Do I need to return the computer to Dell for repair.

Thanks

Your keyboard setting"nationality" in control panel may be wrong and need to be changed.(region &language setting?) This is a common problem. the @ can be found on key 2 usaully in your case.

As others have said.
Hold down SHIFT key and keep hitting keys in sequence until the @ sign comes up. I ve found abroad ive had to use the ALT GR key instead of the SHIFT to get it.

You just need to set your language setting to English(United Kingdom) - this will fix it. No need to use different keys all the time!

It is definitely your region settings if you are getting the " character. Go into control panel, keyboard and set to Ireland (english).
and you can get a € by holding down ATLGR and pressing 4

Manh thanks for the replies

I've changed the language settting from Ireland to United Kingdom, but it doesn't resolve the problem. I've changed it back to the "Ireland" setting.

When I press the @ key i.e. uppercase - nothing happens - but when I press the 2 upper case I get the @. Hmmm, now where do I find my quotation marks?. The lower case for @ is ' not ".

Am I making sense.

btw......Spot on. I'm using another computer - my desktop - my problem is with with my spanking new laptop.

Thanks

Ah but there are two settings in Windows - language is one, keyboard is another. Are you sure you've changed both of these?

sun_sparks said:
Ah but there are two settings in Windows - language is one, keyboard is another. Are you sure you've changed both of these?

How do I change the keyboard setting please? (1) I've changed the Regional Options. (2)Next!!!!:(

Thanks

Seems like you're machine is using US layout.

Steps for Windows XP:
Go to control panel>Regional and Language Options. Set both drop downs to English (Ireland). Click the Languages tab. In this window add English (Ireland) if it's not there already and remove any other option (may need to reboot to take effect), Press OK here.
Click Advanced, make sure English (Ireland) is selected, press OK.

If you have had to make any changes here, try a reboot and retest that key.

If when typing the @ key nothing happens then it may be that the keyboard is not working correctly.

I've go as far as checking out "advanced" and yup changed United States to English(united Kingdom), Location Ireland. I have re-booted but the problem persists.

When I bring up the on-screen keyboard it's layout differs from the actualy keyboard.

Laptop Keyboard. My desktop keyboard.
Shift 2 = @ Shift 2 = "
Shift 3 = # " 3 = £
Shift ' = " " ' = "

#/~ doesn't show up on onscreen keyboard.

#/~ key = on word processer - \\\\\ / |||||.

Perhaps I should contact Dell with a view to returning this gadget.

Thanks again for all the help

Justsally on a tgif day

When you reboot does the regional settings change back to US or stay as Ireland? Do the keys work correctly before the reboot?

After re-booting it stays with English(Ireland) in advanced. It never function right - it's new :(

At this stage I believe Sirours is right. It's just not working properly, When I was comparing my desktop keyboard functions with the laptop functions I was in fact checking the functions with the onscreen laptop keyboard. But when I actually try to use the functions in word processer nothing actually appears in the shift ', i.e. the @ appears where the " should be on shift 2, but the " has not been located anywhere on the keyboard. Does that make sense. Basically no facility for quotations. The onscreen keyboard doesn't show the ~/# key at all!!! even though it types \\\ / |||.

I think I have a wonky keyboard. (Is that an under-statement)

Has anyone else had problems with Dell Keyboards and how helpful is Dell about replacing items.

Justsally

The keyboard layout is still set incorrectly (it's set to US). Heres the steps to fix it (XP):
  • On the taskbar, right click and choose Toolbars -> Language Bars
  • This should show a green square with the letters EN (bottom right hand corner, near the clock)
  • Right-click on the "EN" and choose "Settings"
  • In pop-up dialogue, in the "Installed Services" section, add English (Ireland) if it's not already there and set then set this as the default in the "Default Inpuit Language" drop down box on the same dialogue - this should set the keyboard layout to Irish.
  • Reboot and off you go....
S

Spock!!!!

You've save my sanity. I followed your instructions and it's working perfectly. I won't have to spend my week-end preparing my war strategy for Dell.

Thanks a million for your help. And cheers all around to all who tried to help out this non techie.

Justsally - now a happy camper

you'd have been much better off with a Mac! ;)

(Which is why I knew what the problem was but not the solution.... helpful, aren't I??)

Back