The Interview Process: Best Practice

brian.mobile

Hi there,

We have advertised the position nationally. It's a trainee position.

We have received quiet a few replies - some more suitable than others:

Q: Am I obliged to interview all of them? If I deem them potentially unsuitable, do I just send them the 'Letter' saying that we wont be going further?

Q: Would you have a 'phone' interview initially, and base jusdgements on phone / CV's sent in?

Interested to hear how you have ran your interview process...

B

some more suitable than others.

Start with these. Ditch the rest. You're not obliged to interview everyone (or indeed anyone).

You need to determine the key attributes and skills you require of the jobholder. Having done this, you need to establish the best means of determining whether the candidates possess these skills and attributes.

You're likely to be able to garner more relevant information in a face-to-face interview but you have to balance this against the cost and/or inconvenience of undertaking an interview process.

Recruitment at any level is a significant investment so it's worth going to some trouble to get it right.

Ok, I've sifted through the bunch.

11 culled
3 interviews

Anyone have the text for a 'thanks for your CV, but' letter?

S

Throw half the cv's into the bin. You don't want to hire anyone thats unlucky :)
Probably the best David Brentism ever! :D

brian.mobile - make sure to spell check any correspondence back to the applicants. Otherwise there might be quiet a few spelling mistakes which doesn't look very professional.

Otherwise there might be quiet a few spelling mistakes which doesn't look very professional.

Course I will Clbuman.

All jokes aside, the variety of 'styles' of CV's we received made it all a little tedious, a lot of stuff included was irrelevant, very few came in with a cover letter and (now maybe I'm missing something) but isnt it a good idea to put a paper clip on your CV pages or is it best practice to submit loose-leaf??

B

Best practice would suggest that you keep sufficient records to be able to justify your decision to a 3rd party and prove that you did not discriminate against anybody based on any of the nine grounds listed in the Employement Equality acts (gender, sexual preference, disability etc.)

Back