The Heritage at Killenard Co Laois

MPH

Last one I promise!!! Had a showaround this hotel today. Very nice. Has anyone held/attended a wedding reception here or dined in the restuarants? Looking for a venue at the moment and it is on our shortlist. I would appreciate your opinions/views/experiences good, bad or indifferent. Its the Hotel,Golf and Country Club near Portarlington. Thanks.

Its one of my favourite hotels, sheer luxury and very relaxing. The Spa is meant to be fantastic. I have heard the food can sometimes be very hit and miss though. When we were there in June(just after opening) the food was great, service was great (even though we were an hour late starting our function) and they were very patient with us.

However, I was speaking to people who attended a pro golf tournament in October just gone and they said the food was not great over the weekend at all.

It went so well for us last year that once we came back, we booked the place again for this year, so I cant wait.

Have you had a look at the forums on www.weddingsonline.ie ? you might get some feedback there.

i live a mile away from it and looked at it for my wedding, but no thanks, the venue and service is great, but the menu was way off for a rural crowd, more catered for the movers and shakers.

example, afters food, sambos and cocktail sausages......in the heritage, quale eggs is part of it, i could imagine offering my father quale eggs at a wedding

but that is personal and i am djing at 3 weddings there this year, and as a venue thumbs up, for the food big thumbs down.

Ron Burgundy said:
but no thanks, the venue and service is great, but the menu was way off for a rural crowd, more catered for the movers and shakers.

Please explain. Do people from rural areas have genetically different tastebuds from those from urban areas?? Personally I am very glad that hotels have moved away from the turkey & ham/beef/salmon options to something a little more culinarily (word?) adventurous...

Some of our clients who attended at our function could hardly be described as movers and shakers(maybe more of the zimmer frame variety), ie over 70.

The hotel were very flexible as far as food was concerned, ie the Ceaser salad came with a poached egg, and not everyone wanted it on theirs, so it was not a problem. I didn't think the food was that adventuros, though I would say that somebody picked the vegetarian option and it was a big plate of massive pasta shells coated with a very plain tomato sauce and I thought they could have laid on something more exciting.

As i said it is a personal choice but i know my family being from a rural background and my fiancees being from the same would neither be into the selection on offer in the wedding menu,

i know the management out at the hotel and they admit they are aiming for different type of client then the other local hotels etc.

i am not one of those, although i could afford to have my wedding there, neither my fiancee or i were impressed with the menus on offer.

and sorry i'd rather play it safe with my wedding menu than be adventrous, for me the food and entertainment are the two most important things on our big day and the food served in the heritage is not to MY taste.

that was what i meant, as i said lovely hotel, but the food is lets say "different" to other wedding venues in the region. being a rural region that is.