The forthcoming round of paytalks

elefantfresh

Just saw the headline there in the paper where it seems we've been told to tighten our belts and work til we're 70. The obvious comments spring to mind as we think back to last year when the government awarded themselves that nice pay increase. At the time we recall that the unions had very little to say on the issue for the obvious reason and now here we are.
What do you reckon is going to happen when the paytalks only offer an increase of inflation or maybe in less than? The unions will obviously refer back to last year of course but is this going to end up with half of the country on strike i wonder?
I wish i knew more about economics. It can't be as plain an simple as i see it?

awarded themselves that nice pay increase.

Public Sector unions should not get increases without big time reform.

I would prefer to see more competition in the state to drive down the cost of living.

Eg. Open up bus transport, train transport etc.

Eg. Open up bus transport, train transport etc.
They tried that with Dublin Bus but the unions put them back in their place and stopped the whole thing. I might join a union; at least I'd get to vote for the people who really run the country.

I might join a union; at least I'd get to vote for the people who really run the country.

Unions only work in the public sector so hold onto your money

To be fair thay are giving Aerlinus a run for it. So much so that I feel sorry for the workers who must be worn out with the amount of times have had to tick the ballot paper this year alone.

Unions don't really work anywhere but they still seem to be able to make the government do what they want.

Even though I work for the Civil Service myself, some of the work practices that used to go on in Aer Lingus were unbelivable so I don't blame management for trying to turn things around.