The Extension Dilemma

M

MurfA

I am currently living in a three bed terraced house and with a growing family am facing the issue of whether to move or extend. I am keen to stay put and extend downstairs but by doing so I will be left with very little garden- approximately 20 foot long by 10 foot wide. I am wondering if anyone else has extended in similar circumstances and if so what advice they would have. The way I see it we only really get the weather in Ireland to use the garden for three months of the year. I would get more use and value out of the indoor space. However my concern is that I will spend money on a great extension but the kids will really miss out by only a very small outdoor space. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Firstly, would you be legally allowed to reduce your garden to that size? Planning laws, so far as I am aware, mean you can't build an extension that leaves less than 25 sq m of garden.

Secondly, what direction does your garden face? If an extension means your garden will never get sun then I personally wouldn't consider it.

Thirdly, can your kids play out the front of the house, either in your front garden or (if it's a cul de sac) on the road?

And lastly, would an attic conversion/extension be possible as an alternative?

Firstly, would you be legally allowed to reduce your garden to that size? Planning laws, so far as I am aware, mean you can't build an extension that leaves less than 25 sq m of garden.

The 25sqm rule is for exempted development. You can do it, but will require planning permission.
Leo

We faced the exact same dilemma and decided to stay put and extend. We are lucky though in that we have a big back garden so it won't take up too much space. But as well as that it is a bad time to sell anyway. If I was in your shoes, I would say the children will miss having a decent garden; mine love ours (3, 2 and 9 months) even when it's soaking wet they go out in their wellies and raincoats. But if you can make up for the outdoors by using space out front or going to the park etc then go for the extension.
Best of luck.

Thanks for all your replies. My garden is west facing so it gets the sun in the afternoon and we are ok with the square footage for the garden. As well as doing this we are also thinking about an attic conversion but with young children you really need the living space to be downstairs on the one level. Anyhow I have a year or two before I have to decide anything but thanks for the feedback.

If I were you , I would think about getting the house valued. Is a house that would appeal to the first time buyer price wise?
You have to do the sums, but often it costs a lot to extend and you don't necessarily get it back. You might be surprised what you would buy for the extra you could spend on an extension. When children are small , you probably don't have time for the garden, but its great to have a garden for football,etc when they're a bit older. I know , at the end of the day money will probably decide it for you.

Do a quick check in the market and see what you can pick up that suits the location and internal space that you require. A bad time to sell is a good time to buy so you shouldn't lose out if your careful. Look at putting the extension costs towards a new place and also factor in stamp duty if its required.