The CRO & Data Protection

contemporary

Just wondering what peoples views on the availability of private data from the CRO to any interested party

For a small fee I can download the name, address and date of birth of any director. I think there could be the opportunity to commit identity fraud with this data, how many times have you been asked for your DOB as a security measure?

So armed with the bank statement of a company director and information freely available from the CRO, how hard would it be to complete this form?
[broken link removed]

What do you guys think?

Hi

You would also need to have some photo ID of the director in question to present to the bank and a utility bill as proof of address.

DB

Hi

You would also need to have some photo ID of the director in question to present to the bank and a utility bill as proof of address.

DB

Only if you are setting up an account, i recently filled in this form and posted it off, I was surpised how easy it was and it got me thinking....

The title of this thread is misleading. Data protection doesn't enter into it.

DoB is a matter of public record, anyone can obtain a copy of your birth certificate for about €3.

The bigger concern is how you are going to get the bank statement. Are you going fishing in the rubbish for it? Are you going to intercept the post? Are you going to do a change-of-address with the post office?

Only the first would actually be legal on the basis that if you throw something into the rubbish, you don't want it anymore, and anyone can take it. Which is why you should always shred important info like that.

There are loads of ways to commit identity fraud, many of which are easy. Need a new identity? Pick someone you know who has emigrated (perhaps someone who has become a US citizen, for example) and isn't likely to come back. Get their birth certificate. Call up Revenue and say you've come back and can't remember your PSN. Get a passport. Get an flat for cash. Register for gas/electricity. After you get the first bill, open an account. Get a bill phone. Register for some BS services like Readers Digest, and pay by direct debit. After another short time, get a credit card.... within 6 months you'll have a lovely new identity that will never be picked up, unless your doppleganger commits a crime!

The CRO holds information on public limited companies and some people may not like it - but that information is there for the public viewing. You can access details about any ltd company, find out who are the directors of companies, their addresses, date of births. You can also get access to the accounts of the company. I wouldnt have any problem with this - they are public Ltd companies. Another website is vision-net - this also gives you this infromation - but on this site you can get information on the registered owners of houses amongst other things etc....