The China Bubble

room305

Shares listed on the Shanghai exchange (accessible only to Chinese citizens) continue to explode in price and volume. In six months volumes have gone from $5 billion to $50 billion a day, eclipsing the rest of Asia including Japan. The index is up over 40% this year (despite a 9% sell-off in February) and up nearly 250% since 2006.

Here is one snippet from an article [broken link removed] (emphasis mine)

Millions of first-timers are getting involved in the frenzy as Shanghai's main market gauge continues to post eye-popping gains.

After watching Chinese stock prices gallop upward for months, Ding Xiurui wanted a piece of the action.

The 45-year-old office worker stood in line at a bustling brokerage last week to open her first trading account. She brought her sister, who opened an account too. They joined millions of other novice investors who are jumping into a market that has soared to dizzying heights, with prices up more than 51 percent this year.

"We still can make money," Ding said as she stood at the counter at Tiantong Securities with the paperwork for her new account. Asked what stocks she would buy, Ding said: "I don't know. I'm still learning."

China is in the grip of stock market fever. Shares are changing hands in record numbers as first-timers pour in new money. Some are mortgaging their homes or dipping into retirement savings to finance a frenzy of trading known as chao gu, or "stir-frying stocks."

Last week, the Shanghai index passed the 4,000-point mark for the first time, and economists say it could break 5,000 in a month.

"We are opening 40 to 50 new accounts a day," said Zhang Jun, deputy manager of the Tiantong Securities branch. "Six months ago, it was four to five a day."

Nationwide, the number of trading accounts has soared 30 percent over the past year, to 95 million, one-sixth of them opened in the past four months, according to the China Securities Depository and Clearing Corp., which is owned by China's two stock exchanges.

Stock prices are 30 to 40 times earnings, an unusually high ratio for many major markets, which some say makes them unrealistic.

"But that is not paying attention to earnings growth, which is very, very strong," said Goldman Sachs' Hong Liang.

And many investors believe Chinese leaders will prop up prices to avoid turmoil ahead of a key Communist Party meeting in late 2007 and the Beijing Olympics in 2008.

"We hear that before 2008 the government won't let prices fall," said Ding's sister, Ding Jingxian. "We're not afraid."

I don't have an online reference for this as it was emailed from friend in Beijing. It appeared in the LA times.

Eager Chinese grab bull market by the horns
As the Shanghai index soars, exuberant small investors are buying in, often on credit.
By Don Lee
Times Staff Writer

February 16, 2007

SHANGHAI — After emptying his savings account, Lu Gang borrowed funds from his mother, relatives and friends. Now he's planning to mortgage his home.

Where's all the money going? Into China's booming stock market.

"Both of my parents think it's crazy, but I think it is OK," said the 26-year-old investment company manager, who's already sunk about $15,000 into stocks since getting in on the action last summer. "If there is opportunity, you have to grasp it."

Millions of Chinese have entered the trading frenzy in the last year amid the strongest bull market in the nation's young capitalist history. The Shanghai composite stock index has doubled since August after four years of dismal performance. On Thursday, the Shanghai index set a fresh record, gaining 3% to finish at a whisker below 3,000.

Many individual investors have reaped handsome profits, but a growing number of them are tapping their credit cards and using their homes as collateral for cash to buy more stock, say bankers and analysts. That has stoked government concerns about excessive speculation.

China prohibits banks from giving consumers home-equity loans to play the stock market. So many people are hocking their homes with pawn shop dealers, who typically front borrowers as much as 60% of the value of their homes — but charge an annual interest rate of 36%.

China's Pawn Assn. recently warned its members about the risks of making such loans, saying that although it is quick and easy to advance cash to clients, collecting on loans in default is another matter. "It's quite complicated and troublesome to transfer ownership," said Wu Xianda, director of the association, which has about 100 members.

At Jinbao Pawn Shop in Beijing, manager Hu Bo usually sees a surge in business this time of year. Before the lunar New Year, which falls on Sunday, bosses seek extra cash to settle debts and pay bonuses to employees. But Hu estimates that the stock mania has helped push up Jinbao's mortgage loans by at least 30% this year.

"We do not encourage people to do this," he said.

He recalled one client in particular, a man in his 40s who mortgaged his 800-square-foot apartment in Beijing for $40,000. "I told him that he might suffer losses, but he insisted anyway. He was very confident. He said, 'I have targeted one good stock and I just need the money for one month.' "

Such optimism may seem misplaced. Since China's stock markets opened 16 years ago, they have been plagued by scandals, the government's high ownership of shares and weak regulation. Investors have seen wild price swings and sudden collapses of fortunes. Just two years ago, the Shanghai index was languishing at 900.

But these days the mood is jovial.

"Look, look … how could this rise so high," shouted one elderly man, peering at a big electronic board at Wanguo Securities' trading hall in central Shanghai one morning this week.

By the opening of markets at 9:30 a.m., all 30 computer stations at the hall were occupied. Many people were standing in the lobby, laughing and telling jokes. One man slapped his thigh after watching a stock move up.

"I want to purchase more bank stocks and maybe tourism ones. People travel a lot during the holidays…. Maybe wine stocks too," said a man in his 60s who gave only his last name, Song.

Technically, day trading isn't allowed in China; investors can't buy and sell the same shares within 24 hours. But there are ways to get around that, and many investors are clearly in it for the short term.

Most analysts agree that the fundamentals are better than in the past. By one common valuation, the average share price is running about 30 times earnings; it was twice that during the last big boom in the '90s. Although transparency remains a problem, Beijing has helped shore up investor confidence by reforming state-owned shares and relaxing controls on foreign stock ownership, allowing investors to gain from China's surging economy. The markets also got a lift from hot new issues in banking and real estate stock.

"A new generation of investors is appearing in China," said Zhang Qi, an analyst with Haitong Securities in Shanghai. "They are young people with better knowledge and understanding of the market. They use the Internet to research companies … and they are more confident."

Still, Zhang said, many of them haven't experienced losses and may be holding unrealistic expectations. "Everyone wants to make money from the stock market, and they all feel it should be easy this time," he said.

Beijing doesn't want the market to get overheated. A collapse in share prices could stir social unrest. Officials want to grow the nation's capital markets and give citizens, insurance firms and pension funds a place to invest for the long term.

But regulators also want to head off a stock bubble by reducing speculative behavior — something easier said than done.

In cities such as Shanghai, big banks have been making fewer new-home mortgages because of a softer real estate market. These banks have been pushing other kinds of consumer loans, including those secured by borrowers' homes. Yet no one knows how much of those funds are being diverted to the stock market.

"When the loan is approved, we cannot control its usage," said Zhang Yinjun, a manager in the personal banking department at China Merchant Bank in Shanghai.

China's pawn shop owners say the same thing, even as their business is booming.

Pawn traders in Beijing, for example, released a total of about $330 million in funds last year, a 45% jump from 2005. Most of these loans were secured by homes. The loan process is simple: a few documents and a day or two later usually, the deal is done.

Su Cheng, a 26-year-old native of Anhui province, jumped into the market last year. He plowed his entire savings into shares and then turned to his former classmates for more funds.

So far, Su has seen his investments soar 80% and now has about $13,000 in his stock account.

"My gain is not too bad until now, but my capital is still not enough," said Su, who works for a Shanghai investment and acquisitions firm. "If I had 1 million instead of $6,500, then I would have 2 million in my account now."

The whole setup is eerily like the Nasdaq in 1999. Heavy investment by unfamiliar retail investors hoping to make easy money. Remortgaging and borrowing to place everything in the stock market. No perception of risk and an unerring belief that the government can prevent the market from crashing. Jumping several psychological milestones at once - despite a quadruple run-up to 4,000 in a short space of time investors are already talking about hitting 8,000 by year end. This reminds me of the "Dow 36,000" nonsense during the Nasdaq bubble.

At this stage I think it has gone too far for the Chinese government to do anything about the bubble, it is only a matter of determining what the likely fall out is for the world markets ...

EDIT:

Just for comparative purposes on Wednesday the turnover of some of the world's major exchanges

US - $122 billion
Shanghai - $49 billion
Japan - $26.9 billion
UK - $29.4 billion
Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, India, Hong Kong, S. Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Indonesia, New Zealand and Vietnam combined - $16.5 billion

Just how monstrous is this bubble?

Last edited:
Assuming the worst happens, China's economy is still structurally aiming for higher growth.

Millions of Chinese who thought they were middle-class and that capitalism is painless may get a rude awakening. In the medium term, the Chinese government won't change its fundamental course based on this relatively small minority who, even in a full democracy, would bear little clout.

But China is booming because it's the cheapest option for global manufacturing. A stock crash which impoverishes only Chinese citizens will not change this fact.

Assuming the worst happens, China's economy is still structurally aiming for higher growth.

Apart from North Korea, are there any countries that are "structurally aiming" for lower growth?

Millions of Chinese who thought they were middle-class and that capitalism is painless may get a rude awakening. In the medium term, the Chinese government won't change its fundamental course based on this relatively small minority who, even in a full democracy, would bear little clout.

This would be the "relatively small minority" of approximately 95 million people invested in the Shanghai stock exchange. Nearly 7% of the entire population of China or about half of the people over there that can afford to purchase a microwave oven. As for bearing "little clout" - 2,000 people rioted when the average bus fare increased by 50 cent. The Chinese government reported 23,000 separate incidents of "mass protest" last year. So I would hazard a guess that there were twice as many riots as reported. Let's see how much clout they have when they lose everything they own.

But China is booming because it's the cheapest option for global manufacturing. A stock crash which impoverishes only Chinese citizens will not change this fact.

It isn't the cheapest option for global manufacturing but that's probably beside the point. These citizens aren't involved in a card game, they are purchasing shares in real companies. They are doing so with money borrowed from Chinese banks. They are securing these loans against their own homes. When the market collapses so does the capitalisation of these companies. In many cases, the municipal government is still the majority shareholder.

Most investors in China that I know, have done so predicated on a burgeoning consumer class in China and the opportunities this will present for Western and Chinese companies in terms of new markets to sell to. How much of a set back will this receive if half of China's middle class lose their homes and see their pensions wiped out in a stock market collapse?

Why all the optimism among ordinary Chinese that the Government will prop up the market until after the Olympics?
I can imagine the closer to 2008 the more nervous everyone will get and all hell will break loose. And what effect would a plunge in Chinas' stock market have on the world economy if any?

An investment crash-led consumer recession in China will not be sufficient to cause an actual overall recession. Whether the 7% of China that is middle-class is eating caviar or dogfood will not change the fact that every day of the week hundreds of manufacturing processes are setting up in China after closing down a western operation.

That's what I mean by "structurally aiming" for higher growth: the world economy is such that the vagaries of the Shanghai Stock exchanges will not change that fact that the only way is higher growth.

It's like Ireland in 1995; despite our public transport and health service and a thousand other things being very bad indeed, our economy was poised for 100% growth, mostly because of a tax differential between us and the USA.

In China it's the same thing: the cost differential between manufacturing in China and in the West is massive, and we can expect 100% growth over the next decade or so while that differential exists.

Some more choice pieces from an AP article. Again apologies for the lack of a link.

This year's 50 percent rise in the main market measure, the Shanghai Composite Index, comes on top of a 130 percent increase in 2006. The market shrugged off a one-day drop of nearly 9 percent in late February that set off a decline in stocks around the world.

On Wednesday, the Shanghai index passed the 4,000-point mark for the first time, and economists say it could break 5,000 in a month. Trading volume Wednesday for Shanghai and China's second smaller exchange in the southern city of Shenzhen exceeded all other markets in Asia, including giant Tokyo.

Economists say the government should take steps to moderate the price surge or risk a sharp fall that could hurt millions of small investors.

"This is a very critical time. If policy adjustments take place now, the market can still have a sustainable development," said Hong Liang, a Goldman Sachs economist. "The longer they wait, the harder the eventual landing will be."

Enthusiasm for stocks is fueled in part by a lack of other investments in a heavily regulated economy.

Famously frugal Chinese families save up to 40 percent of their incomes, but bank accounts pay just 3 percent interest -- less than the rate of inflation. Some have made fortunes in the booming real estate market, but the government is cracking down on speculating to rein in soaring housing costs. Interest on bonds is low, and currency controls prevent most families from investing abroad.

On Friday, the government announced it will raise the amount that Chinese banks are allowed to invest in stocks abroad, possibly diverting some of the money pouring into domestic markets. But economists said the amounts involved will be too small to affect the country's money flows.

Regulators also have discussed raising interest rates on bank savings to make them more attractive and creating other new investment options but have announced no timetable. There is some talk of imposing a capital gains tax to cool off speculation, which alarms investors.

"I have a stable income but in China now a stable income doesn't mean a good life," said a 26-year-old government employee who was opening an account at Tiantong Securities and would identify himself only by the English name Leon. "Seeing other people earning a lot of money, all you can think is, you're earning so little and how can you make more?"

How much of China's growth has been achieved through exchange rate manipulation? This manipulation is causing huge inflationary problems and this in turn is fuelling their stock investing mania. China can only tackle its inflationary problems through higher interest rates and a sharp revaluation in the dollar/yuan exchange rate. Doing this risks bursting the stock market bubble and severely dampening its export trade (higher prices).

That's what I mean by "structurally aiming" for higher growth: the world economy is such that the vagaries of the Shanghai Stock exchanges will not change that fact that the only way is higher growth.

Surely you have just taken one meaningless phrase here and replaced it with another. Though funnily enough, the Chinese government has been voicing its hope for lower growth (8% rather 11% currently) as it fears the economy is starting to overheat.

Apparently there is no legal way for Chinese citizens to short the market so without the means to hedge against losses, there will likely be a mass panic to exit from the market in a downturn.

Althought this stock market is isolated I'd imagine the rest of the world is highly vunerable to the fall-out in terms of sentiment.

49 of the 56 countries in the Wilshire Global Index are all up in new territory having just recently hit record highs.

Clearly, there could very well be a bubble in Chinese-only stocks. Which makes sense, as the bulk of the money being made in China is by local subdivisions of multinationals based in liberal democracies.

There's also something of a bubble in Western stocks and shares, arguably. The total market cap of the stocks in the USA is over $20 trillion, and that's roughly thirty times the combined amount of all the profits made in the Land of the Free.

Clearly, there could very well be a bubble in Chinese-only stocks. Which makes sense, as the bulk of the money being made in China is by local subdivisions of multinationals based in liberal democracies.

There's also something of a bubble in Western stocks and shares, arguably. The total market cap of the stocks in the USA is over $20 trillion, and that's roughly thirty times the combined amount of all the profits made in the Land of the Free.

I'm glad we agree. The question is not which is a bigger bubble but what the likely fall-out is. It's hard to imagine the rest of the world emerging unscathed.

Lest there be any doubt how bad things are, this article provides some insight http://www.financialarmageddon.com/2007/05/bubble_in_chine.html. There are reports of people bringing shopping bags full of cash into brokerages to set up trading accounts due to the unreliability of electronic transactions in China. I can only imagine what the fallout from this will be like. It has to be bigger than the Nasdaq bubble.

what interests me is how to play this bubble. I'm not interested in shorting any of the Chinese ETFs.
I think you should avoid Asia as their markets will be hit hard. I used to think Japan would be a refuge but I now think they will be hit hard. Other Emerging Markets will also be vunerable.
In the equity markets Europe and in particular the US would be the havens.
If you are really worried the US long bond is the place to be. Otherwise cash.
For myself I haven't put any new money in Emerging markets for sometime. I've being buying the US and Europe markets.
I don't hold any longterm bonds as I can't tell when or if the bust will happen. I do hold some cash which I would hope to redeploy if we get a bust.
Regards

From Bloomberg

Investors opened 362,719 accounts at brokerages on May 24, the fifth straight day the tally has exceeded 300,000, according to figures on the China Depository & Clearing Corp.'s Web site. So far this year, 20.9 million accounts have been opened, four times the amount in 2006, the clearing house's data shows.

Having thought about this and considering the amount of coverage it is now getting in the media I am convinced that the bursting of the Shanghai bubble will have little or no effect on Western markets. It was even on Newstalk this morning where the business editor seemed unable to grasp that these are investments for Chinese citizens only, despite Ger Gilroy hinting around the fact.

It may not even have much of an effect on Chinese funds (which are almost certainly invested via Hang Seng or NYSE listed ADRs). It may even spark a rally on Wall Street, as the absence of a reaction causes some traders to wonder what the hell the fuss was about.

Having thought about this and considering the amount of coverage it is now getting in the media I am convinced that the bursting of the Shanghai bubble will have little or no effect on Western markets. It was even on Newstalk this morning where the business editor seemed unable to grasp that these are investments for Chinese citizens only, despite Ger Gilroy hinting around the fact.

It may not even have much of an effect on Chinese funds (which are almost certainly invested via Hang Seng or NYSE listed ADRs). It may even spark a rally on Wall Street, as the absence of a reaction causes some traders to wonder what the hell the fuss was about.

You could be right, but then there's always the chance that a huge bust would have a big destabilizing effect politically in China. There's already a lot of bad feeling towards the government and well connected monied classes over there. If such a large amount of ordinary people ended up loosing their shirts, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a rebellion of sorts. I think that the government knows this too and could resort to rash measures such as unpegging the yuan from the dollar to try and recover some of the value for the people there. A soaring yuan would cause deflation in China and let people live better on less, however it would cause hyperinflation in the West. If it all goes pear-shaped in China, it's hard to see how we would be able to continue unscathed.

You could be right, but then there's always the chance that a huge bust would have a big destabilizing effect politically in China. There's already a lot of bad feeling towards the government and well connected monied classes over there. .

Yeah, they must be really sweating about the results of the next election.

You forget the fact that if there was some type of middle-class rebellion, the Chinese state would simply massacre it into non-existence, and those who don't get killed will spend the rest of their days in captivity fervently wishing they had.

They could even have a referendum on the issue, as the massacres would all happen in cities and the rural majority could probably be bought off. I mean that literally: the Chinese State has a trillion dollars of reserve assets.

All in all, a mass rebellion has a very slim chance of happening, and none of succeeding.

You forget the fact that if there was some type of middle-class rebellion, the Chinese state would simply massacre it into non-existence, and those who don't get killed will spend the rest of their days in captivity fervently wishing they had.
This isn't North Korea we're talking about. There are a lot of western interests in China these days so human rights and environmental issues have become of much greater importance. An outright massacre, a la Tiananmen Square in 1989, would not be so easy to pull off thesedays

They could even have a referendum on the issue, as the massacres would all happen in cities and the rural majority could probably be bought off. I mean that literally: the Chinese State has a trillion dollars of reserve assets.
Some of the most violent riots happen in rural areas. I don't think you realize the amount of discontent there is over there. Even small non political gatherings have the potential to get out of hand very quickly as there are so few legitimate avenues for the average Chinese person to vent their frustrations and make themselves heard. The government knows this and has banned many seemingly innocent groups just to be on the safe side.

All in all, a mass rebellion has a very slim chance of happening, and none of succeeding.
You've obviously never been to China then. You should know from history that a rebellion doesn't have to succeed to have a widespread effect.

The equivalent of a 50 cent rise in the cost of bus fares sparked a bloody riot in one province. There are over 95 million people invested in the Shanghai and Shenzen exchanges. About 21 million people invested this year. Many of these are "all in". Borrowed against their houses, invested their life savings everything. Many are buying on margin to create leverage and thereby increase the potential gains. A 30% or 50% crash could leave them with nothing.

You mightn't be worried but I'll bet the Chinese government is.

You mightn't be worried but I'll bet the Chinese government is.
Totally agree with you room305 and I think that this is where there is real potential for major problems to develop in China. IMHO the paranoid and controlling government there could easily start panicing once they realize how out of control the stock market is and might end up doing something very rash.

Stock market down 6% yesterday after the government increased share trading to tax to 0.3% up from 0.1% in an attempt to cool the market. This is not going to end well for the Chineese.

Reaction on the US futures markets is fairly muted this morning. S&P 500 is only off a mere five points or so.

Even that great political opportunist Alan Greenspan has started talking about there being little reaction to the sell-off on Western markets.

Back