The Book

TarfHead

I'm in the market to trade in my 2000 Vectra against a used 7-seater. On Saturday we found a Zafira in good condition and asked the sales bloke to let me know what value he'd give for mine.

OPEL Vectra 2000
46,000 miles
Loads of extras (4 disc CD unit, air con, electric mirrors, alloys)
Rear bumper needs replacing.

He's offering €5500 for it which, to me, seems low.
He claims that's the value according to THE BOOK.

Anyone here have access to THE BOOK - the reference for motor dealers. Is €5500 what THE BOOK advises ?

I presume the "Book" he is referring to is Glass's. If you can't get your hands on it is your best bet not Autotrader, there should be plenty of examples of your model for sale. Does seem a low price though.

Would the existence/publication of such a book be in breach of anti-competition legislation?

Carpenter said:
I presume the "Book" he is referring to is Glass's. If you can't get your hands on it is your best bet not Autotrader, there should be plenty of examples of your model for sale. Does seem a low price though.

Autotrader, cbg and carzone will only show you the value that a trader is selling a car at...not the book value which I think represents the price he'll buy it from you for - minus his profit.

I think I'm right in saying a dealer will usually want to make 3-4k on a car.

Sounds excessive. €2k would be nearer the mark.

Regarding your Vectra - extras on a 2000 car are now valueless unfortunately. The trade write them off over 4 years.

If I were you I'd get a new bumper from a scrapyard (matching the colour should be possible) and fit it yourself.

Have your car 100% when seeking a trade in price.

This book always brings a smile to me whenever I am in a garage or looking at cars. No matter how often a salesman see a potential customer, the value of the customers car always seems to require a glance through this little book. imagine going into a bread shop and the assistant looking up the price of a load for every customer. thats what car salesmen do. I could understand it if they just looked at it now and again but they seem to do it for every car. and has anyone yet seen a salesman when asked for a price on a trade not revert to scribbling, when in effect he knows from the minute you cross the door how much your car is worth and how much he is looking for in a deal.

They also work out how much your car is worth based on the mileage.
E.G. you car is an '01 with 30K, it has a different value to the same model car with 25K.

They allow and work out how much the car is worth per x amount of Euros per 1K miles as well as the year of the car.

It used to be a fairly standard figure per 1K on most cars, anyone know waht it is today?

N Solo

From talking to dealers recently (trying to trade mine in) it all seems to depend on how much they want your car. I've had varied qoutes by as much as 5k.

I don't believe the "book" exists, but most main (reputable?) dealers will know the price it should be worth I'd reckon.

Thank you to all who posted.

We went ahead and agreed on the Zafira anyway, despite the trade-in value. Even if I had found another dealer who was prepared to offer more for the Vectra, they might not have had a car I was interested in buying.

And my knowledge of what to do when buying a car doesn't extend much beyond kicking the tyres :eek: .

'The Book' does exist !
It's called 'The Car Sales Guide' and is published by a company in Malahide. It has been available to Dealers since c.1970.

I know, I used to work in the motor trade.

There is also 'Ireland's Used Car Price Guide' available.
It can be purchased in most newsagents.

Silvera.

Agreed. It exists and should be the basis for any deal.

Ultimately however it depends on how much a dealer wants your trade in. If you have a nice car in good condition, the salesman will have a list of potential buyers for it.

Glass's Guide

Does anyone know where this book can be purchased ? Is there a web based copy that anyone knows of ?

Re: Glass's Guide

niceone said:
Does anyone know where this book can be purchased ? Is there a web based copy that anyone knows of ?
That book is like the holy grail, the chamber of secerts. No one may get it except bona fide car dealers. They have some strange vetting procedure before you can even get a copy.

Re: Glass's Guide

bond-007 said:
That book is like the holy grail, the chamber of secerts. No one may get it except bona fide car dealers. They have some strange vetting procedure before you can even get a copy.

Finance houses also get copies, updated monthly.

I get any valaution I need through a contact working in leasing in one of them.

found a web resource for UK cars, might be of use to some people out there. [broken link removed]

I actually got my hands on a copy of it ( March issue I think) , I gave it to mate who was buying a car and he said it was very handy.

Try ringing your insurance company and asking to speak to one of their motor engineers. They'll have a copy.

Back