"The bank must act in the best interests of its customer"

Brendan Burgess

Founder
This comes up in a few cases where the complainant says that the bank did not advise the customer of the negative implications of something.

The courts have upheld that, in normal circumstances, a bank does not have a fiduciary relationship with a customer. But there is a very interesting ruling which might benefit people who are making complaints.

ptsb vs The Financial Services Ombudsman High Court Record 2011 264 MCA 3/8/2012

That's quite a big shift in emphasis. I wonder would the Supreme Court agree.

Has it been appealed to the Supreme Court?

It seems to me to be a common sense decision that if a financial institution calls some its staff "advisors" that they should then be held accountable for their advice.

Brendan

It seems to me to be a common sense decision that if a financial institution calls some its staff "advisors" that they should then be held accountable for their advice.

But what happens if the advisers working on behalf of the Bank, provides mistruths, based on what they have been told by their hierarchy ?

This all falls in to the category of deception and misrepresentation, something that hasn't been tested in Ireland AFAIK.