The avian 'flu song

DrMoriarty

chicken.jpg

[sings]"Hens, touching hens, reaching out...
Touching me, touching yoooou..."[/sings]

that's great!

I'm sorry to say that my employer has initiated an "avian flu" contingency plan to the cynical reaction of staff - it goes "potential lack of human resources for critical operations due to a potential shortfall of staff due to a potential" etc etc - no mention of "which staff work on a family farm or eat a lot of chicken etc or "what staff cross x road and may be run down by a bus" etc

madness!!

Cynical or skeptical reaction?

Front page of Friday's Irish Times included a story about what might happen if it transpired that there was an outbreak of disease related to Avian Flu in Ireland. Is that really news? :(

I have to say I am sick to death of all this crap about avian flu. Why has the media suddenly latched on to this? Its been 88 years since 1918 and the last one pandemic why the sudden rush now? I think the chances that avian flu willl cause a pandemic are very low after all half the world is focused in on it, while everyone focuses on it something else will come sneakily along and be the real problem.

I know that this is the jokes section dam099 but there's been two million plus pandemics since 1918.

Purple said:
I know that this is the jokes section dam099 but there's been two million plus pandemics since 1918.

2 million pandemics? Is that outbreaks or deaths?

Researching further I guess there have been other pandemic's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/general/

I may not have been specific before but I was referring to a flu pandemic in particular. However according to that Wikipedia piece and the US govt one there have been more of them since 1918/19 but that does seem to be the last one where the death toll was in the high millions and I can see only two other flu pandemics since then where the death toll was close to or in the millions.

Back