Thailand - Chiang Rai, Krabbe and Bangkok

Jetblue

I just booked some flights to Thailand. Departing end of next week. My first time in Asia. I have 2 weeks there and intend to stay in the above locations.
I would really appreciate any recommendations for good accomodation and interesting things to see ot trips to do centered around these places.

Thak you all!
JB

I was in all three places a few months ago.

Chiang Rai - I was only here for one night and I stayed in the Wiang Inn hotel which is around the corner from the bus station. Nice place and excellent breakfast. There was 3 of us and the room cost about €30 per night if I recall. Went to the night market which was quite good and on to a bowling alley which is about 20 mins on a tuk tuk. Bowling Alley was a cool place as it sold beer and was quite lively.

Krabi - Flew here from Bangkok and got a taxi for about €10 to Aonang and stayed in a nice place called Srusuksarn Resort which was quite expensive at about maybe €60 per night. Aonang is a nice place with maybe a 1.5m stretch of bars, restaurants and shops. Very relaxed place. Stayed here for about 3 nights but was quite ill so didn't get up to much. Went kayaking one day and this was quite cool - for about €10 - 15 well worth it for a half day.

Got a boat over to Phi Phi (and stayed for a few nights) from Krabi that takes about 3 hrs I think. Great views on the way over. Phi Phi is a nice enough place itself but it's getting out to snorkel and dive that is great in the area. Went on a half-day snorkel trip for about €15 that was excellent. Visited the monkey island and "the beach" on the trip. Lunch included and very relaxing on the boat. It's a must if you go to Phi Phi.

Didn't enjoy the diving as much as not a great swimmer and couldn't settle but views were still great - saw some sharks and the usual. A guy from Dunshaughlin actually has a diving school in Phi Phi and he has a couple of great instructors.

Bangkok - If you like temples you can fill you boots here. They weren't for me - all looked the same to me and a bit tacky for me. Still the Grand Palace is worth a visit. Weekend market is huge and worth a visit - can't recall the name of it but you get off the skytrain and a place called Mo Chi (sp). Went to the kickboxing in one of the stadiums and it was quite good. Not sure which stadium but if you go don't bother with the VIP tickets as the arena was not that big and you have a good view from everywhere. Only the tourists get roped in to buying the VIP tickets.

Stayed in a Viengtai Hotel(maybe €30 for night from what I recall) in Bangkok which is just off Ko San Road (main backpaker area and very very lively). I spent a few hundread € before I left Ireland buying cloths and packing bag. I wouldn't do it again if heading back to Bk. You can get t-shirts for €3 on Ko San Road, shorts €5 and everything else you want is also available including student cards and a degree from Trinity.

Went up the Patpong (Red Light) one night as there is a market right in the middle of all the action. Good place for a beer and watching the world go by.

That's all I can think of for now. If anyone mentions voglee walk away - scam.

Hope this helps.

If flying around check out Thai airlines and bangkok airlines for best prices I could see.

For accomodation see www.sawadee.com

Last edited:
Bangkok is a great city once you get used to the 'lie of the land'. I stayed there in February for 5 nights with my wife, by the end of it we loved it.

You'll quickly get used to all the taxi's and tuk tuk's trying to get fares from you as you walk down the street and will be laughing about it after a while. It's just the way things are there.

Everything is very cheap so even though you know you're getting rode for stuff it doesn't bother you because they're doing you out of 20cent and it's not worth the hassle/time haggling. Up to yourself though personally haggling over 20bat isn't worth it.

A few basic rules apply to tourists..

1. The minute you walk out of the airport everyone is out to get money out of you.
2. Anyone that approaches you anywhere is trying to sell you something you don't want or bring you somewhere you don't want to go. Anyone that tells you somewhere is closed they're lying, and instead are trying to bring you somewhere else. Trust no one that speaks to you.
3. Tuk Tuks are great fun, but I would only use then for the shorter trips. Make sure you agree a price before you get in and haggle as much as you can, they expect it. It's best to have an idea of where you're off to so that you can guess the distance and you then know when they're trying to screw you. They'll start with a rediculous figure like 200 bat for a 30 bat fare so start very low.
4. Taxis are better for longer trips but before you get in make sure you ask him to put the meter on. A lot of them won't take a meter fare so don't get in until he agrees to switch it on and make sure when you get in he switches it on.
5. Kick boxing was a good night's entertainment, there's 2 stadiums Lumpini and another one (can't think of the name). They're open alternate nights so check with your concierge before you head down. Don't get the front row seats, they're good for the view but cost 2000B/€50 so an absolute rip off in comparison with what you'd pay for the cheap seats.
6. Shopping is great but everything is knocked off/fake. Check our the MBK shopping centre. 1000 shops, and you can haggle.
7. Patpong Road is good for an evening out but if thinking of going to a ping pong show prepare yourself to get mobbed by about 10 women with hands all over you and will grab cash from your hand (saying "tip" for me) if given half a chance. I got caught unawares and got stung but if you're prepared you'll be grand, just have a few small notes handy.
8. Treat yourself to massages any time you can, they're great! 800 bat approx + tip afterwards for a 2 hour full body.
9. It's a really safe city, make sure you go to some of the night bazaars and try as much of the food as you can.

I stayed in Krabi but was in a resort for 4 nights so can't give any advice.

Not sure what your budget is like but I can recommend the Pathumwan Princess hotel, beside the MBK, great location and the sky train is close.
Enjoy the trip.

Not everything is fake! Siam paragon is a high end shopping centre and it's all genuine. It also has the most amazing aquarium I've ever seen. Well worth a visit!

Thanks for the replies guys! Really looking forward to this trip now! will update when I get home.

JB

You must be home by now - how did you get on? Any tips thinking of going to Bangkok for 2 nights and then on to Ko Phi Phi for about ten nights. Advice greatly appreciated.

Pink Lady,
I've been to Thailand three times in recent years and it's a fantastic place. I think 10 nights on Ko Pi Pi is way too much IMHO. Spend 4 or 5 days in Bangkok. Maybe a week in Phuket and take the boat from there to PiPi for a night or two. Finno14 has given a v good review above. The Grand Palace is a must see. We did take a day trip out of the city to the River Kwai (made famous by the film, Bridge over the River Kwai) you take a journey on the train, get off and have lunch in the middle of the jungle) with a visit to a POW museum. Not everyones cup of tea but I enjoyed it.

I got clothes made the first time i was there, good value, but you do need to be staying for 4 or 5 days. It's possible to have a suit made in 24 hours if you're in a rush but you miss out on the extra fittings before it's finally made. Stick to a reputable firm.

Bangkok is famous for it's shopping, sure, there's lots of fake goods. More important to be aware of the scams involving unsuspecting tourists been "brought" to gem shops and been sold worthless gems. We got approached while sitting outside the MBK centre by a very well dressed guy who said he was head of security in the MBK centre. So beware of anyone offering to bring you somewhere. The TukTuk drivers gets commission from the shops if they bring tourists to them, so they often will stop somewhere on your journey. The hotels usally arrange visits to reputable gems stores if you're interested in buying gems or jewellery. Prices are very competitive. Go for the pink Sapphire which is actually mined in Thailand or the white gold.

A trip for a few days up north to Chang Mai is a good option, if just to escape the hussle and bussle of Bangkok or a change from the beach scene. Lovely city with lots of mountain and treking things to do.

Avoid Pattaya, a dirty sleasy ****hole 90 minutes from Bangkok. Full of sex tourists and everything that goes along with that.

You'll certainly enjoy Thailand, check out some websites before you go and don't forget to get your "jabs" in good time. And don't drink the water under any circumstances!!

hope this helps