Thailand/Australia Flights

B

bah

Hi,

I'm looking to do some treavelling around Southeast Asia and a few weeks in Australia over the summer, trying to price flights right now.

I've gotten a few quotes for flights from Dublin-Bangkok, Bangkok-Sydney, Sydney-Dublinv - all around the €1300 mark. I've tried looking on sites like Sidestep and Orbitz that let you book multi-city flights, and called Trailfinders.

Can anybody recommend any other websites/travel-agents to check out?
Also, any recommendations on good travel guides - Lonely Planet/Lets Go/Rough Guides, etc? Preferably one for southeast asia instead of for individual countries.

http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=22730

http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=22605

[broken link removed]

are a couple where you could start.Also try going low-cost eg Oasis Hong Kong fly from Gatwick to Hong Kong then theres a bunch of low-cost Ryanair type around south east asia and oz eg Tiger airways and Virgin Blue(to get cheap VB fares book between (I think) 12+1pm weekdays oz est).Singapore have a 'sale' on at the moment and there fares seem pretty good for their high standards.BA also have a sale on.Book soon as my brother went to Thailand last summer and it was over a grand ret cuz of the school hols in the uk(where most flights depart from)

I heading asia+oz myself and I think south east asia on a shoestring is very good but its obviously aimed at the budget traveller.

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Half Scot, I'm definetly on a budget, but I think for the long-haul flights I'd rather go with a non-ryanair type airline just for a bit of comfort, but I am planning on using the budget short-haul airlines around southeast asia when I get there. I was thinking about getting a ticket that would go shannon-thailand-vietnam-cairns-overland to syndey-shannon, but it seems much cheaper to just get flights from ireland to thailand, thailand to australia and australia back to ireland and arrange shorter flights independently.

Who are you thinking of booking with? I plan on travelling from the third week in May to the third week in August, spending about eight weeks between thailand and vietnam and about 6 weeks in Australia. €1300 seems to be about the cheapest I can get the flights for.

Any more responses are greatly appreciated.

I went with Usit and paid €2000 for Dublin-London-Jo'burg overland to Cape Town-Singapore-Perth overland Sydney-Auckland overland Christchurch-Nadi-LA-London-Dublin.Doing it over a year and for our itinerary it was the best we were gona get.
yeah your right its gona be cheaper paying for the long haul flights and then buy the ryanair style flights as you go along.From Shannon your gona have to go via London,Amsterdam,Paris or Frankfurt to get to Thailand.
If I were you I'd have a chat with the likes of Usit,Sayit,Abbey travel to get an idea of prices.Don't think your itinerary is going to suit booking via BA or KLM etc

I agree with Half Scot. I recently booked flights to South America - NZ - OZ and Asia and back to London and Ireland. Usit came in €120 cheaper than any of the other places, on and off line! They also gave some good advice and recommended some good travel books to read....good luck!

Thanks again for the advice so far.

I haven't gotten any prices from USIT yet mainly because of the terrible staff they have working in my local usit travel centre - they were some of the most ignorant people I've ever dealt with when I was booking my J1 last year. I'll give the Dublin call centre a call on Monday and see what they quote me.

Half scot, your itinerary sounds great, it'd be great if I could take a whole year out, especially since you're getting a lot more flights for just 600-700 more than I'm being quoted.

I've used Trailfinders a few times. My experience is that they match the prices I find myself, and their staff usually actually know a bit about my destinations, and have a few constructive suggestions to make. I'd tend to go with their recommendations (inasmuch as I'd go with the recommendations of any agent!)

Back