testing a fire alarm - how to

cnu

I have just fixed a fire alarm, when I push the button I just hear one single beep, is that all? How do I make sure that the fire alarm is fully operational?

Thanks for your help.

Pressing the button is the usual way to test it. You could also get a can of smoke and spray it

...hold the button down / in ....I know mine will make one beep (then repeat) on low battery !
I have two different makes and each will LIFT you when the button is held in for a few seconds ...

Million thanks for the reply. I bought a new alarm, it works fine when I insert battery, tried and checked it by spraying some smoke on it.

But, my old alarm seems to have some wires coming out of it [of red, white and blue colors]. While the alarms I checked in the shop had no place holder for such socket. Do you know what this wires do?

I dont wanna show, but I'm really stressed out after hearing some adventurous stories from my friends.

PS: I called coupla fire alarm companies but they dont seem to understand the what am talking about.

I'm guessing you're talking about smoke detectors here, or are they heat rise detectors? Perhaps the old one has wiring to attach back to an alarm panel? If you're not sure, just replace the old one. Smoke detectors are cheap these days, undetected fires expensive!
Leo

Thanks Leo,
They look pretty much like a fire-alarm except the previous one had three of the wires hanging out thats all.

I dont think it could be that old [my guess], as the house itself is built in 2001 [presumably they installed the fire alarm then].

Say a fire breaks out and the insurance guys come to check it, will he be happy looking at just plain working fire-alarm or is this supposed to connect to some fire brigade thingy and they automatically come home?

On the other hand is this too trivial for me to worry about?

Hi cnu, fire alarms and smoke detectors are distinct items, I'm still guessing you mean smoke detectors here? Most insurance policies give a nominal discount provided there are at least two 'working' smoke detectors present. A full fire detection/alarm system is not required to obtain this discount.

Check the terms and conditions of your insurance policy, if you are availing of this discount, make sure you comply with the terms in the policy.
Leo